Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard George Masters VC

pgardiner1418

This is the digest of Private Masters VC citation,

The communications had been cut and the wounded could not be evacuated because of an enemy attack. Reports had come that the road was impassable, in spite of this, Private Master's, who was attached to the *141st Field Ambulance, volunteered to try and get through. With the greatest of difficulties he managed to succeed by clearing the road of all kind of debris. Throughout the whole of the afternoon he continued to make journey after journey over the road, which was subjected persistently to shell and machine-gun fire. On one occasion, he was bombed by aeroplane. Private Masters was able to help evacuate the majority of the wounded from the area. His car was the only one that managed to get through during this particular phase.

Can anyone tell me where "the road" was situated, I believe it was in the Bethune area but would like to pin down the exact location.

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul

Second attempt: I accidentally closed all tabs before I posted this!

The Masters VC is 9 April 1918 (according to manuscript note in the margin of the National Archive document WO/98/8 Image 370). It was gazetted on 8 May 1918 which must be as close to an immediate VC as they come! I should imagine there was some pressure to get these published given events in France. The citation mentions 'communications cut' and the fact that he drove his ambulance car all 'through the afternoon'.

Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions shows that 141st Field Ambulance was with 1st Division in March 1918 and shows no further change for the duration of the war. That does not preclude short periods of attachment elsewhere. On 9th April, 1st Division was under command of I Corps immediately south of the 55th Division which was commanded by XI Corps. 1st Division was south of the La Bassee canal. 55th Division was immediately north of the canal.

1st Division was on a west to east Line with 1st Brigade in the west (Marles, Lapugnoy, Labeuvrière), 3rd Brigade (Bethune anbd Beuvry) and 2nd Brigade forward (Cuinchy and Cambrin)

The Official History seems to show relatively little enemy activity against 1st Division on 9 April, certainly compared to the intense attack on 55th Division and the Portugese and other units to the north.

The rest is supposition. Suppose that 141 Field Ambulance was lent across the Corps boundary to evacuate casualties immediately north in the 55th Divisional area on the other side of the canal. Given the references to 'communication cut' and looking at the map from the OH, this might indicate the area of 164 Brigade at Givenchy on the right of 55th Division or possibly 165 Brigade in the centre. Either way, the line is pushed back south west onto Givenchy and Festubert and eventually round behind Festubert in the region of Route A Keep. During the day the Germans were in Givenchy (and Festubert?) but ejected by counter-attack. A narrow pocket is formed bounded by the canal, Gorre, Festubert and Givenchy around Windy Corner. This would seem somewhere that might be considered as cut off and never more than 2000 yards from the front line, well within German machine gun range I would have thought (knowing nothing of the weapon characteristics!). Evacuation might well be through Gorre in which direction would lie the 55th Division medical chain (but conceivably across the canal into 1st Division area althopugh I am not sure that I would fancy taking my ambulance car across registered bridges). This would make the road perhaps through Tuning Fork to Gorre. Was there not a Dressing Station at Gorre? Gorre is 2 miles east of Bethune which I think qualifies for 'near Bethune' which is what is written in manuscript next to the printed LG cutting in the National Archive. (I am not sure who wrote it though!)

As I say, entirely supposition but, if true in whole or part, a sort of serendipty in George Masters VC from Southport evacuating soldiers from the West Lancashire Division (albeit none from 9 KLR). We might need to look at the events more carefully to work out what the position was in 55th Division on the afternoon of 9 April; the OH map shows the start of 9 April and the start of 10 April. I need to re-read the OH to check on the involvement of 1st Division but I am sure that they were sufficiently uninvolved for a battalion of Gloucesters to be moved from their positions to line the canal bank to fire across (off to check).

Happy to be contradicted; this is just a working hypothesis. The War Diaries of 141 Field Ambulance and/or the ADMS diary for the 55th Division (and maybe 1st Division who might have had more time to write on 9 April) might cast some light. What about the files of the Southport Visiter?

Although not 55th Division, you might have thought he deserved a mention in Coop's Story of the 55th Division if my supposition is correct. Alternatively, I presume that there is a history of 1st Division somewhere that might be worth a look.

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley