Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Egypt and the Middle East postings

asdarley

I am looking at a Sapper who was a wireless operator who arrived in Alexandria on 12/9/1917

From fairly illegible notes it has to be said

I have him with the EEF from 25/8/1917 ( which preceeds his arrival in Alex..would that be normal??) to 27/7/1919

During that time I have listed 12/4/1918 AC 24th Corps

17/6/1918 posted to 10 Sqdn

14/7/1918 51st Cav Div

23/8/1918 absorbed onto the establishment of Corps Sig Coy

From a note dated 7/4/1919 he was posted from 2 GHQ WOG ( Wireless Observation Group) Middle East to Constantinople

Would anyone care to suggest where and with whom this chap was operating?

Most overseas postings that you see on service records will show overseas duty from the moment that he left the shores of Britain to the time that he set foot back in Blighty. Travel on transport ships is classed as overseas, though you do see it sometimes shown as "en route" and at other times, just as "in theatre".

Steve.

Steve Thanks for that. It clears up the first part of the question. Now to try and answer the other!

re WOG; please see http://members.aol.com/reubique/210903.htm where the foll v. brief explanation is given - 'These Groups were formed as part of the Army Signal Companies for the purpose of gathering intelligence on enemy wireless stations and aviation units'

Sorry I cannot help with the rest: I note your caveat [From fairly illegible notes it has to be said] and have to admit that a search of the index of the EEF's OH reveals nothing remotely like the 24th Corps and 51st Cavalry Div. which you mention.

regards

Michael

Michael

Many thanks for the link, an interesting read! Interesting that you should mention aviation units as I do believe the top right corner of the attestation form has RFC written on it. However, no other link to the RFC appears, unless the Squadron mentioned is actually an RFC one!

In general terms the EEF had three Corps; XX, XXI and the DMC [no trace of a XXIV Corps]

also there was a 5th Cavalry Division [but no 51st] which joined the DMC on 2 July 1918

It is very frustrating that 'The Advance of the EEF etc.....' [HMSO, 1919] while giving two pages to the description of the signal service, concentrates almost entirely on telegraphy (by line) with almost no mention of wireless.

Looking at the OB the following specific W/T units are mentioned [and I presume here that W/T refers to Wireless Telegraphy]

GHQ - No.6 Wagon W/T and No.6 Pack W/T Sections

Desert Mounted Corps - DMC Wireless Troop [formed from No.9 Wagon W/T Section and London Pack W/T Section]

XXI Corps - No.12 W/T Section R.E.

listed under Lines of Communication Units - Northern W/T Section R.E.

This is going to be a hard nut to crack - good luck

Michael

Michael Thanks for that...strangely enough it is in part helpful! As I know the chap was using a six pack wireless set so that would seem to pin him down to being attached to GHQ until being sent to Constantinople. Thanks all round!