Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do these initials stand for?

asdarley

I am looking at the history of a chap who serves from 1916 onwards as a radio (wireless) operator.

Can anyone help decipher these initials I found on his attestation and service records?

He was a Sapper and at one point was with a "Wireless Obs Group Middle East sent there from SSTC Bedford

What was wireless observation ? and what was SSTC Bedford?

Also he has the initials EEF listed from 25:08:1917 to 27:07:1919 What would that be?

again on 12:04:1917 he has GGF Base Signal Depot against his name.....any suggestions?

Also another poser...

at the top of the attestation form is written RFC ( Royal Flying Corps maybe?) BUT.... on 17:06:1918 it records posted to 10 Sqdn then it says posted to group from 5th Cav

Later we have 12:04:1018 AC 24th Corps then an entry of 14:07:1918 51st Cav Div

So rather than the RFC was this chap attached to a cavalry unit?

I know he was in the Middle East from 28:08:1917 to at least the 7:04:1919 but his MIC only shows the three standard issue medals. Was there not a medal issued for the middle eastern theatre?

Sorry to put up so many questions but this is proving to be a knotty problem!

I am looking at the history of a chap who serves from 1916 onwards as a radio (wireless) operator.

Can anyone help decipher these initials I found on his attestation and service records?

He was a Sapper and at one point was with a "Wireless Obs Group Middle East sent there from SSTC Bedford

What was wireless observation ? and what was SSTC Bedford?

Also he has the initials EEF listed from 25:08:1917 to 27:07:1919 What would that be?

again on 12:04:1917 he has GGF Base Signal Depot against his name.....any suggestions?

Also another poser...

at the top of the attestation form is written RFC ( Royal Flying Corps maybe?) BUT.... on 17:06:1918 it records posted to 10 Sqdn then it says posted to group from 5th Cav

Later we have 12:04:1018 AC 24th Corps then an entry of 14:07:1918 51st Cav Div

So rather than the RFC was this chap attached to a cavalry unit?

I know he was in the Middle East from 28:08:1917 to at least the 7:04:1919 but his MIC only shows the three standard issue medals. Was there not a medal issued for the middle eastern theatre?

Sorry to put up so many questions but this is proving to be a knotty problem!

Can't help with the majority of the abbreviations (wrong Corps, sorry) but EEF is most likely the Egyptian Expediationary Force.

Phil

Yet again the forum astounds!

Only minutes after posting I get all this great info! Thanks guys!