Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

648th M.T. Coy ASC

Andrew Hesketh

Would anyone know with which formation the 648th M.T. Coy ASC served? I'm looking into a man who is buried in Mozambique.

Thanks.

Andrew

Andrew

I am also researching a soldier who was with the 648th M.T. Coy ASC who died in Tanzania in 1917.

I have yet to research his details in more depth.

Myrtle

Andrew/Myrtle,

The 648th is listed as being both a Water Tank Company (MT) and the 4th Auxiliary Company (for maintenence Services) Artillery Support.

I don't believe the PRO has a War Diary for this unit.

It did not serve in any Division sized unit but instead served under the various Theatre commands.

I would recommend Farnsdale History of the Royal Reg't of Artillery, Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base 14-18. Although the 648th is not mentioned it will give you good idea of the East African Artillery Forces.

Joe Sweeney

Sorry, nothing to add to Joe's info except to say that it is confirmed by ref to "Army Service Corps, 1902-1918" by Michael Young, published by Leo Cooper in 2000. This book is an excellent place to start for anyone looking into the ASC; 406 pages of which 211 are very detailed annexes and index.

Best of luck with your research

Michael D.R.

Michael / Joe,

Thanks for the information and leads. Much appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

P.S. Myrtle - how about a deal? Anything either of us comes up with to e-mail it to the other? By the way 'my' man's name is Pte. Albert Chapman, M2/176419.