Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vimy Ridge Trench map sought

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

Does anyone have a close up map of this area for those dates? I'm trying to track the battles of the 43rd Battalion CEF. They were at the battle for Vimy Ridge during the 3rd Ypres where they suffered massive casualties. Does anyone have the history of the Battalion? I have part of the war diary that exists for this Battle, but i'm trying to picture the ground that they had to attack over. I'm also interested in the names of the trenches of the area. If anyone has a map showing this i would be grateful. Is there any other 43rd Battalion buff out there? The person that i'm interested in is Walter Guy Stone, Service No. 225654. If there is any mention of him in the Battalion history i'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Hi Mike:

From August 26 - 30, 1918 the Canadian Corps was involved in the Battle of the Scrape. On the night of the 26/27 the 43rd Bn. (9th Brigade) joined in the 4th Brigade's attack on Vis-en-Artois. On The 28th, "As the division's guns turned next on the German positions opposite the 8th Brigade, the 43rd Battalion and the 5th C.M.R. stormed the high ground between Cojeul and the Sensée known as "Seventy Ridge". They captured the ridge and Rémy Wood beyond, but could not take the village of Haucourt, just across the Sensée."

Garth

post-4-1077392332.jpg

Mike,

I have a Trench Map as at 12th April 1918, if that is of any help.

All the British trenches are shown.

I do not know the Vimy area well at all, however if there are any particular Trenches, areas that particularly interest you I shall try and locate them.

Tim

From August 26 - 30, 1918 the Canadian Corps was involved in the Battle of the Scrape. Garth

The Scarpe was a Scrape, all right :P .

Garth, where did you get this .jpg? It looks like a photo of the map, rather than a scan. Nice and clear . . .

Peter in Vancouver

The nearest I have to the dates you requested is a German map of the area dated 13 August 1918.

Attached is the front line due east of Vimy, above Arleux. Let me know what specific area you want.

post-4-1077396908.jpg

The Scarpe was a Scrape, all right  :P .

Hi Broz:

Thanks for picking up my miss spelling. It is of course the Battle of the SCARPE. :blink:

Garth, where did you get this .jpg?  It looks like a photo of the map, rather than a scan.  Nice and clear . . .

It's a scan of a map from Nicholson's history.

Mike - The 43rd Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg) didn't publish a history of their WWI service. 'The Lion Rampant: A Pictorial History Of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders Of Canada 1910-1985' by G. C. A. Tyler does provide some information on their service during the Great War, but not much. Have you checked the National Archives of Canada for the 43rd's war diary? You can view it here.

Also, 225654 Pte. Walter Stone's attestation papers can be viewed here.

It's interesting that he enlisted with Canadian Mounted Rifles Depot (14th Regiment) in early 1916 and ended up a Cameron on the Western Front.

Garth

Hi Pals,

Does anyone have a close up map of this area for those dates? I'm trying to track the battles of the 43rd Battalion CEF. They were at the battle for Vimy Ridge during the 3rd Ypres where they suffered massive casualties. Does anyone have the history of the Battalion? I have part of the war diary that exists for this Battle, but i'm trying to picture the ground that they had to attack over. I'm also interested in the names of the trenches of the area. If anyone has a map showing this i would be grateful. Is there any other 43rd Battalion buff out there? The person that i'm interested in is Walter Guy Stone, Service No. 225654. If there is any mention of him in the Battalion history i'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Try with this address: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canadianssoldiersm...eil/indexgb.htm a friend of French association ARHAM ask him for original trench maps and war diaries...Laurent.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

Thankyou so much for all the imfo that you have posted here for me.

Laurant, I'll be in touch with ARHAM in the next day or so. Is he a 43rd Battalion buff?

Mordac, I have a copy of the war diaries for the battle and their movements up to the front line. Its awesome reading. I think that Walter may of been wounded in an earlier battle and got transferred to the 43rd. I think the reason they could'nt take Haucourt is that they were down to less than 70 men as the war diary states that the muster roll says

A and C Company 36 OR'S

B Company 15 OR'S

d Company 13 OR'S

The family story is that Walter had been wounded during the fight and was stretchered back. As they were loading him into a Ambulance it took a direct hit from an Artillery shell killing all around it. Does anyone know how far behind the fighting the ambulances would be?

Robert, If you have the trench map of the area that the 43rd started from and any that they took along the way that would be awesome. Does your map name the names of the trenches?

Tim, Anything between Monchy-le-Preux and Haucourt, many thanks.

Again Pals you have come through with some awesome imfo for me and i have shown it to the girlfriend as its her Great Great Uncle. She thanks all of you for your help

Regards and best wishes to you all

Mike

Mike,

Because the distance between Monchy-le-Preux and Haucourt is reasonably large, I have split the map into three parts.

I hope it makes sense, if it does not, please let me know and I shall try something else.

Here is the first map covering Monchy le Preux to Spur Trench all three are as at 25th April 1918:

post-4-1077467887.jpg

Guest gen_wizard

Tim,

Thanks so much for that. When Walter's records come through now i can work out what route he may of taken before he was wounded. I'm hoping that his records might even give the place of his death more specifically.

Thanks again, i should be able to follow it now, maybe even be able to copy it and patch it together.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

No problem at all.

I could email you the whole map with better definition if you would like, it would be quite large, several megabites.

If you do, please let me know.

Regards,

Tim