Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service numbers

baorbrat

Gnr 217711 enlisted Lanark on or after 1 January 1917.

Could Gnr 217719 enlisted Holloway, have enlisted before then? i.e before Gnr 217711 enlisted.

Peter, please excuse my terrible grasp of geography...but where is Holloway in relation to Lanark? And were these two chaps in the same regiment?

Allie

Is it Charles Brand you are enquiring about?

Mick

Lanark is just South of Glasgow.

Holloway is in London.

Were Charles and George in the same regiment? I have no idea.The numbers are only 8 apart.

The enquiry is really about Gnr 217711, George Anderson.

It is to work out a timescale. With this timescale I hope to work out when and where George was during the period 1917-1919

I have an interest in 217719 Gnr Brand so just wondered.

Mick

Peter, with the different regiments giving out their own numbers, there could be many men with an identical service number. So if those two men were not in the same regiment, their numbers - despite being close numerically - mean nothing.

Allie

Peter, with the different regiments giving out their own numbers, there could be many men with an identical service number. So if those two men were not in the same regiment, their numbers - despite being close numerically - mean nothing.

Allie

They were both Gunners, both in the RFA. They may have not gone to the same unit, but as far as I know the RFA did not issue duplicate numbers.

I have an interest in 217719 Gnr Brand so just wondered.

Mick

Have you read the post Hindenburg, Gunner who?

Brand came from Aberdeenshire.

I have a query about service numbers. Sidney Denzil OLIVER had the service no 32046 when he died in Nov 1918 as a Corp in RE 34th Signals Company. Through ancestry database I have found several medal cards with closely adjacent numbers. Is this worth pursuing? His service records haven't survived, so grasping at straws. Though from Salisbury, he was in Portsmouth in Apr 1916 so may have enlisted there.

There are pix of im on another thread.

They were both Gunners, both in the RFA. They may have not gone to the same unit, but as far as I know the RFA did not issue duplicate numbers.

The R.F.A. certainly did issue duplicate numbers.

Have you read the post Hindenburg, Gunner who?

Brand came from Aberdeenshire.

I haven't but I will, thanks. Its a family name interest.

Mick

The R.F.A. certainly did issue duplicate numbers.

Thanks Jim,

So the answer to my question,

Could Gnr 217719 have enlisted before Gnr 217711 is yes.

Will now look for another Gunner to work out a timescale.

Thanks Jim,

So the answer to my question,

Could Gnr 217719 have enlisted before Gnr 217711 is yes.

Will now look for another Gunner to work out a timescale.

Peter, As I understand it the R.F.A. was composed of many units and specialities (for the sake of a word call it battalions and sub units although this is not technically correct). Each allocated it's own service numbers. Certainly this is the case with the lower numbers and Territorial influx. BUT I may have to eat my words where the higher service numbers are concerned. Using the NA website for MICs there seems to be no duplication for either 217711 or 217719. I also input some random numbers around the 2177** and got no duplicates. So I think that we may both be right. I just wonder if blocks of service numbers were given to recruiting officers who may have been in different locations. Whilst we cannot be certain that 217711 was issued before 217719 I have come around to thinking that they would have been issued around the same time.

I just wonder if blocks of service numbers were given to recruiting officers who may have been in different locations. Whilst we cannot be certain that 217711 was issued before 217719 I have come around to thinking that they would have been issued around the same time.

Hence me querying the location of Holloway in relation to Lanark, Peter. :)

I can't get the NA site to work this evening, Jim. Maybe it just doesn't like people in my time zone?

Allie