Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Famous Sons

clarkc_bpo

Hi all,

Can someone help stoke the flame of a family debate ?

'Famous Sons' or 'Sons of Famous People' (for Sons read Daughters too) who were killed in the Great War ?

I know of Kipling's son, and Asquiths's son Raymond, and indeed the adopted son of JM Barrie, but there are lots more. Any input welcome.

yours ay,

Clark

We did a Generals sons that died some time back, if of course you class them as famous!

I recall Allenby, Congreve and Braithwaite lost sons, along with others of course.

A little off beat! Brigadier Rawling, was godfather to the son of John Buchan. But then thats not what you asked.

I am sure there are plenty more.

regards

Arm

Here's a couple more

Captain Alec Stewart Henderson, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) Son of Laura Henderson owner & founder of the "Windmill" of "we never closed fame"

Lt. Samuel Franklyn Cody son of "Colonel" Franklin Samuel Cody the pioneer aviator

see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=919441

also said to be the first father & son to be killed in aircraft. Here's Cody's Grave & detail of the memorial to his son at the Aldershot Military Cemetery (Lt. Cody is buried at Perth China Wall Cemetery, Belgium)

post-5512-1216543126.jpg

post-5512-1216543146.jpg

NigelS

One of Teddy Roosevelt's sons - not Kermit the other one.

Kingsley Conan Doyle son of the Author of Sherlock Holmes

i read recently in 'tommy' [richard holmes] about a father and son from the same batt killed on the same day [can`t find the name] . not famous but its related to the topic, how common was this??. mike.