Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col. H. TAILYOUR

Guest Ian Sparks

Guest Ian Sparks

Lt Col. H. TAILYOUR was from the 14th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

In June 1921 he unveiled the Earls Colne War Memorial. I am trying to find out who he was and what connection he had with Earls Colne which is near Colchester in Essex.

I cant help you on Lt-Col H. Tailyour but I wonder if this is his family:

Major (later retired as Lt-Col) Ewan Southby-Tailyour RM, who used his connections with Brigadier Thompson to get himself involved as the Amphibious Landing Officer for the Falklands Task Force. I know this man was the son of a General Sir Norman Tailyour. Southby-Tailyour was born in Scotland but location may have had more to do with his father's then posting?

Sorry if this is totally useless but I thought it might be of interest.

Hello Signals.

I remember the name,Southby-Tailyour,from my youth.

This was the guy,who spent his spare time before the Falklands War,travelling the coast line of the Falklands in a Yacht,and mapping all the bays and inlets.

It is an unusual name,Tailyour,so there maybe some connection.

Sir Anthony Farrar-Hockley's son served with 2 Para as a Company commander,during the same war,i seem to remember.

These things sometimes run in families.

Good hunting.

All the best.

Simon.

I think you will find that your man is actually Lt. Col. George Hercules Forster Tailyour, RA. He usually wrote his name as G. Hercules Tailyour so it would not be unusual for the newspaper to refer to him as H. Tailyour. During the earlier months of the war he was Brigade Major of the 5th Divisional Artillery, but was taken prisoner at LeCateau on 26 August 1914 while leading the teams of 80 and 37 Battery to their guns so that these batteries could withdraw. He was interned in Holland and was not released until 23 October 1918. His connection with Colchester is due to the fact that in 1921 he was OC of XIV Brigade, R. F. A. which was stationed in Colchester. He was probably invited to unveil the war memorial because he was one of the ranking officers in the area.

Regards. Dick Flory

He was interned in Holland

This surprised me. Prisoners tried to escape to Holland because it was neutral. I did not realise that they interned some prisoners captured by the Germans.

This was the guy,who spent his spare time before the Falklands War,travelling the coast line of the Falklands in a Yacht,and mapping all the bays and inlets.

Simon,

Thats the chap, although the opportunity was afforded him by virtue of his tenure as C.O. of NP8901 - the RM Garrison detachment for the Falklands - between 1977 and 1979.