Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE 34th Div Signals Uniform War diary query

suec

I would appreciate some expert thoughs as I have not been able to find out much personal info about this Corp in 34th Div Signals Co. His name was Sidney Denzil Oliver from Salisbury and he died on Nov 18th 1918 and is buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, nr Boulogne. (CWGC) I have searched at Kew but his records haven't survived. I read the relevant War Diary and I have Lt Col Shakespear's book. I know that SDO was in Hampshire, in late 1917, when he was photographed with his children. Also earlier, in Feb 1917 for conception! Would he have had leave or is it more likely that he didn't go to France until early 1918? I assume he enlisted at Sutton Veny, nr Salisbury. The Division moved to France from there in 1916. Would a recruitment base (?) have been retained?

The war diary states that in June 1918, they were stationed at Nielles Les Blequin and were mainly invloved in instructing American personel in morse code. In mid July they received a warning order to 'move south by startegical train on account of a German offensive nr Rheims.' They eventually detrained at Chantilly and marched to Senlis. As far as I can deduce, they did not return to Northern France. They were in Moorseele, (Belguim?) when the Armistice was signed. My thought is SDO was taken ill or injured before the move to Senlis in July, although he didn't die until November. The cemetery is nr Boulogne. They would not have moved casualties north, would they?

Lastly, does his uniform reveal anything? He is wearing the signallers armbands, though different styles. The baby in the pic was born in April 1916 - so he was in England then too.

Oh and why does Shakepear never mention the Signals?

Any lines of research or observations, much appreciated.

Sue.

post-34605-1216390913.jpg

A couple of points, Sue.

It is very unlikely that Sidney would have enlisted at Sutton Veny. It is in the middle of nowhere on Salisbury Plain, which at the time was a vast area of camps. He would have been sent there from somewhere else.

Men were sent to the hospitals in the Boulogne area from all over the front. It is not safe to assume that he went there because he had been in a northern area but having said that, it would be quite normal for a man taken ill at Moorsele to go there. He could be at Boulogne in less than 24 hours from that area.

Not much more to tell you, but during the German Offensive of March 1918, 34th Div suffered really badly and was reformed throughout. In this respect men would be coming from all over to reinforce those units which suffered and this would include the 34th Div Signals Coy, to whom Sidney has probably been posted. As to cause of death, I wouldn't like to speculate, but it could be illness as well as wounds. Although the 34th History doesn't give good account of the Signallers role, another book on 50th Division does and I'll try to find the link to a website created by a GWF member.

Sue,

Try this link which will infact lead you to the book 'Q6A & Other Places' by Francis Buckley, which is about signalling in 50th Division.

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/odellbert.htm

Thanks to everyone for putting me right and helpful hints. I've looked back at the other thread on the 34th. Can't find Sidney in the pic - sometimes Sydney - his service no was 32046. Could this indicate when or where he might have enlisted?

Thanks again, and sorry the pics are askew. Sue.

On this thread,

Forum Thread

I posted a picture of the 34th Div signals, you just might find him on there?

Cheers

Guy

Using ancestry's medal cards database, I have found a quite a few entries for RE's whose service number was within 20 of Sidney's - 32046. Is this likely to be helpful in ascertaining when/where he enlisted? Many of them served with other regiments prior to RE. Comments here imply that Sidney may have too and joined the 34th after their March 1917 losses. Were service numbers duplicated by divisions/reissued?

Sue.

On this thread,

Forum Thread

I posted a picture of the 34th Div signals, you just might find him on there?

Cheers

Guy