Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reserves

raich

Does anyone know the difference between the Special and 1st Class Reserves? What about the "B" reserves - I have this on a medal card for someone I'm tracing...

Also I'm not sure what the difference is between the Royal Fleet Reserve and the other navy reserves.

can anyone help?

thanks

Raich

In brief:

Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR) - men who had served time in the RN or RM and were then placed in the reserve. Two main classes - 'A', who had served to pension and 'B' who had served a lesser period.

Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) - mainly professional seamen (merchant, fishermen, etc).

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) - 'civiian' volunteers.

In brief:

Royal Fleet Reserve (RFR) - men who had served time in the RN or RM and were then placed in the reserve. Two main classes - 'A', who had served to pension and 'B' who had served a lesser period.

Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) - mainly professional seamen (merchant, fishermen, etc).

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) - 'civiian' volunteers.

Thanks Horatio,

Can you tell me if the RFR had to go on training weekends, etc.

Thanks

Raich

Raich,

1st Class Army Reservists were those who had completed their Colour service, usually 7years and had been placed on the Reserve for a further 5years, bringing their total to 12years. Men who took their discharge prior to completing the 7years Colour service, for whatever reason, were also placed on the Reserve, so that they too could complete their commitment.

The Rules for the other Classes of Reserve are covered in Kings Regulations 1912, amended to 1914, but I don't have a copy here with me.

Yes the RFR had to have refresher courses. Have you downloaded his Royal Navy service register? The RFR number should also have his original RN official number in brackets and you can then look up his register entry online or at Kew.

Yes the RFR had to have refresher courses. Have you downloaded his Royal Navy service register? The RFR number should also have his original RN official number in brackets and you can then look up his register entry online or at Kew.

Hi register shows "RFR ChB 2297" - is this what you mean? Where should I look for his fleet records?

raich

Hi register shows "RFR ChB 2297" - is this what you mean? Where should I look for his fleet records?

raich

here's his medal card - I have no idea what it means...!

It's from 1899...

Raich

post-28343-1216463089.jpg

That's for WW2 medals: (1939-45 Star, Atlantic, Africa, Pacific, Burma, France/Germany, Italy Stars plus clasps, and War Medal). I think you'll find that the dates are birthdates. The circles and crosses indicate whether the medal was issued, just the ribbon or both.

Edited to add that's Merchant Navy medal records.

Raich,

Men who took their discharge prior to completing the 7years Colour service, for whatever reason, were also placed on the Reserve, so that they too could complete their commitment.

Not quite: a man who bought himself out was free of commitment, of course.

raich

That is his RFR number not his service number, which should also be shown [e.g. J****** (Ch.B.2297)]. 'Ch' indicates he was home-based at Chatham.

If he was an RN rating you can search for him by name or service number (not by RFR number) here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

and down-load his service record for £3.50.

You may also find enlistment papers at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

That is his RFR number not his service number, which should also be shown [e.g. J****** (Ch.B.2297)]. 'Ch' indicates he was home-based at Chatham.

If he was an RN rating you can search for him by name or service number (not by RFR number) here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

and down-load his service record for £3.50.

You may also find enlistment papers at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks I have his service register thanks.

Raich

here's his medal card - I have no idea what it means...!

It means 1939/45, Atlantic and Pacific Stars and War Medal. His WWI medals will be listed in ADM 171.

The number shown is his merchant navy number, see the NA research guide for lookiing up Merchant seamen's records.