Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The White Ghurkas

Desmond7

Pte Samuel Mann, High Street, Ballymena - joind Canadian Contingnet - sent letter to Ballymena Observer. July 9,1915.

"When we came out of the line after a nayonet charge, the Guards yo-hoed us and cheered us all the way. They were calling our boys the white goorkas."

Full letter if required .. just post .. but expect max. typos tonite!

Hi Des:

I think this is your man, 25615 Samuel Mann. He enlisted on September 21, 1914 with the 2nd Infantry Battalion. Of course, he was born in Ballymena, Ireland. :lol:

You can view his attestation papers here.

The 2nd Battalion's war diary is here.

I have a copy of the 2nd Battalion's history and will have a look through it tonight and see if there's any information around the date of the newspaper article.

Would you please post or e-mail me a copy of the letter. Many thanks.

Garth

This seems to be a compliment that was used a few times in the war.

The 2nd AIF Brigade at the 2nd battle of Krithia at Helles were also nicknamed 'The White Gurkhas' by English & Indian troops. 'The White Gurkhas' is also the title of a book by Ron Austin which refers to this Brigade's actions at the Krithia battle.

Does this all tie in. I like to know how accurate these interviews were ....

Ballymena Observer, July 2 1915

Private Mann’s Thrilling Experiences

PRIVATE Samuel Mann, High Street, Ballymena, of the Canadian contingent, who has seen fierce fighting at the front gave the following thrilling narrative of his experiences:-

“After some training in Canada, we were sent to Salisbury Plain in England where, after three and a half months spent in finishing our training, we were efficient and well prepared for the fighting line.

"We embarked on a transport for France and after four days in rough sailing we were landed somewhere in France. After a short stay on the coast we boarded a cattle train and were taken inland. On the 10th April we were taken out for what we thought was a route march but we were soon brought to our senses when we heard the thunder of the guns becoming clear. We were soon close to the firing line near Armentiers. When we reached the firing line the French were retreating but when the Germans saw the Canadians still advancing they beat a hasty retreat.

"The Germans at length reached their trenches and turned their machine guns on us and men were mown down in great numbers.”

Reporter takes over: They dug in at midnight and remained five days under incessant shell fire, dozens of his comrades being blown to pieces but they still held on and did not retire. They were eventually relieved and sent for a

46 hour rest.

“On the following evening when we were having tea in the billets, round went the word to get ready for action. We arrived in the trenches on the left of St. Julien and again met the French retiring, We stopped the Huns and drove them back into their first line of trenches”

Reporter again: They dug themselves in and remained there until they were reinforced by the Buffs (East Kent Regt.).On Saturday they lost many men through the retirement of the French and the Germans took four guns. They got

order to recover the lost ground and secure the guns. They did this and drove the Germans back in the face of powerful odds.

In connection with the fighting at Hill 60, Pte Man said there was a little wood on the left of it and they lost 900 men in clearing it out.

“The English soldiers blew the hill up and the result of it was that the place where the hill stood was as flat as any of the surrounding ground,” said Pte Mann.

They remained there for 18 days and after being relieved went to a place called the ‘Horse Shoe’ or better known as the ‘Death Trap’.

“During the time we were there a spy on top of one of the churches in St. John gave the position away but we speedily ferreted him out and shot him. We again got orders for action and went in near Ypres where we stayed in the trenches for four days. A day’s rest came again and then a 25 mile match which brought us to a small town where we were billeted.”

HERE he mentions meeting a friend called Galloway from Ballymena who was in the Royal Irish Rifles.

Reporter continues: They were brought up to full strength by reinforcements and were ordered to La Bassee. On the 12th May they went in as reinforcement to the English troops and took a German line of trenches.

“We were fighting along with the Irish Guards and several other Guards regiments at that time and when we came out of one of the bayonet charges the Guards yo-hoed us and cheered us all the way, they were calling our boys the

White Goorkas,” he said.

Pte Mann and two of his comrades were sitting in a dug-out one day and a shell burst upon them burying them with earth. When he was extricated, he was unconscious and after he regained his senses it was to find that he had lost his

teeth.

The other two soldiers were buried forever. Private Mann was sent to Havre where he remained for two weeks and after spending some time in a hospital in England, he got home on a few days leave. He has a memento of the war in

the shape of the head of a shell which burst near him.

My late Grandfather was with the Borden Battery, 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade and related this story regarding Gurkas in the the Great War. One dark night in a forward position, he noticed something feeling the laces on his boots. At first he assumed it was a rat. When he moved, a voice said "Don't Move. OK. Gurkas." In the dark a night patrol of Gurkas had moved into the forward Sap and were identifying the soldiers by their boots and laces.

Hi Des:

The newspaper story and history are close. Here's a summary of the 2nd Battalion's activity from October, 1914 to April, 1915. I've attached a map of the area were the 2nd Battalion saw action from April 22 to 28, 1915.

Arrived at Plymouth Harbour on the S. S. Cassandra on October 14, 1914.

Arrived at Bustard Camp (Salisbury Plain) on October 26, 1914.

Arrived at Avonmouth and boarded S. S. Blackwell on February 8, 1915.

Arrived at St. Nazarine, France on February 11, 1915.

Arrived at Bois Grenier and relieved the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on March 2, 1915 (first tour of duty in the trenches).

Relieved by the 4th Battalion on March 13.

Moved to La Toulette in Brigade Reserve on March 14.

Returned to Bois Grenier and relieved the 4th Battalion in the trenches on March 17.

Relieved by the 4th Battalion on March 21.

Arrived at Fleurbrix on March 22.

Moved from Fleurbrix and arrived at Neuf Berquin on March 25.

Moved from Neuf Berquin and arrived at Winnezeele on April 6.

Moved from Winnezeele and arrived at Vlamertinghe on April 21. Status - general stand to arms.

April 22, gas attack and confused situation. At 9:00 PM the 2nd Battalion was placed under command of General Turner (3rd Brigade). At 10:00 PM the battalion moved to take up a position west of the St. Julien-Wieltje road.

From April 22 to 28 the battalion was involved in attacks on Doxsee's House, Hooper's House, and Oblong Farm. They supported the 10th and 16th Battalions.

On April 29, the battalion was moved to billets at Vlamertinghe.

Total casualties (all ranks) were 544 men:

Killed - 6 officers - 68 other ranks

Wounded - 4 officers - 158 other ranks

Missing - 5 officers - 302 other ranks

There is no mention in the 2nd Battalion's war diaries or history of the term 'White Gurkhas' being used to describe the battalion.

Garth

post-4-1077654485.jpg

He shoots - he scores! Once again Mordac comes up trumps!

Great detail. BTW - as regards that other issue - I've got the file at home but my 'contract for the month' has run out. Always mean to 'up my hours' but ....

Anyway, from memory I think the unit may have been called Duke of Connaught's Own Canadian Irish Regt. .... will post the whole thing when up and running. Cheers once again.

Re: the Ghurka thing ... I often wonder about all these titles like Red Devils, Ladies from Hell, Teufel Hunden etc.

If I was on one side or the other, I would be referring to the opposition as 'those b......ds over there'!

• 3 months later...

Guess who I've found - not great, but it's a pic!

post-4-1087081216.jpg