Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L Cpl J TUPPER - Liverpool Scottish ?

manxman

While my main area of interest centres on my G Grandfather, who served with the Liverpool Scottish, I've been having a look at other Manxmen who served with this unit. I've found the below detailed anomaly:-

In a Roll of honour published December 1920 for all Manxmen or Manx residents killed in the war there is an entry for " J TUPPER, 10th King's Liverpool Regiment" (Liverpool Scottish).

There's no trace of this man in the rolls of honour published in either "The history of the King's Regiment (Liverpool) - Wyrall" or "Bravest of Hearts" - Giblin. There's no exact match on the CWCG site (26 individuals from 1st war, none from King's Liverpool).

Can anyone who has access to "soldier died... " pse do a look up

many thanks

I've had a look at SDGW & there's noone form the Isle of Man with the initials JT listed in the 10th Kings.

However, there are two J Tupper. The likely one is L/Cpl John Tupper, G/15019, 1st Bn, East Kents who died of wounds on 30/10/18. Lived and enlisted in Liverpool. No mention of place of birth.

John

thanks,

sounds quite likely

I have recently seen a local Roll of Honour on which quite a number of men are listed with the units they originally served with and not the one they died with.

This included a man who was commissioned from one of the King's territorial battalions. He is listed on the Roll of Honour as a Lt., King's Regiment. That would have been quite confusing had I not already got some information about him.

Perhaps family members gave the details for the Roll of Honour and remember most clearly the original unit a man joined. That may be the one they have a picture of him in uniform of, on the mantlepiece.

Ken

• 7 months later...

a belated thanks for your responses

ta