Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Cleland

DMcNay

While uploading photos to the Scottish War Graves Project for Douglas Cemetery, I came across the following grave:

CLELANDAlexander.jpg

He is listed on the War Memorial for Douglas (which is also in the cemetery) as a Private in the Highland Light Infantry.

My problem is that I can't find him on the CWGC. I've tried several variations of his name, such as Celland or Clellan. Nothing.

What is odd is that he is listed on SDGW, number 305184, 8th HLI, KIA in Egypt. Born in douglas, residing in Lanark. The same information is reproduced at the Scottish National War Memorial.

So...any clues as to where he might be on CWGC? Or have I found a genuine non-comm? Obviously there is a discrepancy with the dates of death, but apart from that pretty much everything else fits...

CLELAND, ALEXANDER

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/11/1917

Service No: 305184

Additional information: Son of Robert Cleland, of Curries Close, Douglas, Lanarkshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 44.

Memorial: JERUSALEM MEMORIAL

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm and all,

Does anyone know the correct War History of the 8th H.LI.?

If you look at the main site you will see the Battalion was disbanded in 1916 yet Pte Cleland died whilst serving with the Battalion in 1917.

I know that one Company of the 8th H.L.I. was attached to the 8th Royal Scots in November 1914 and we have discussed before which Battalion Willie Angus was serving with when he was awarded the V.C.I still say the H.LI. as the 8th Royal Scots History records that he was attached to the Battalion from the H.L.I. when he was decorated

Would it be fair to say that although the 8th H.L.I. did not serve as a composite Battalion members of the Battalion served throughout the War attached to other Battalions?

George

Thanks for that, malcolm. I'm a little puzzled though, as that entry definitely was not there when i was searching last night...

Malcolm,

I'm pleased the CWGC retain the H.L.I. distinction.

During the War the Battalion distinction was probably a pain to the Pay Sgt though :D

George