Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Mary Louisa Gordon

Deborah123

Dear All

I am new to the site and finding it really interesting.

I am researching Dr M,ary Louisa Gordon [1861-1941] and believe she volunteered for the SWH in 1916, to go and serve in Serbia.

Any information about her that anyone might have gleaned would be most welcome.

Thanks All,

Best Wishes

Deborah

Deborah

She is included on the SWH list of names of those who had service with the America Unit, serving in Serbia from 3/8/16 to 1/12/16. I also have a short contemporary account of the work of the America Unit (couple of sheets) from the Imperial War Museum. They are image files - if you'd like a copy send me an email address (email link on my profile) and I'll send them.

Sue

Deborah

She is included on the SWH list of names of those who had service with the America Unit, serving in Serbia from 3/8/16 to 1/12/16. I also have a short contemporary account of the work of the America Unit (couple of sheets) from the Imperial War Museum. They are image files - if you'd like a copy send me an email address (email link on my profile) and I'll send them.

Sue

Dear Sue

Really pleased to hear from you. It was good of you to go to the trouble of looking her up within your own research.

My email address is D.Cheney@kent.ac.uk

As I said, I am a newbie and this was my first posting so forgive me if I am not well acquainted with protocol and seacrching!

Best thoughts

Deborah

There is very brief mention of her in Leneman's In the Service of Life. She seems not to have been much engaged in the work of the Unit.

NGG

There is very brief mention of her in Leneman's In the Service of Life. She seems not to have been much engaged in the work of the Unit.

NGG

Dear NGG

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. This is a new publication for me to explore, and I will certainly do so.

My very best wishes for your efforts.

Best thoughts,

Deborah

Mary Louisa Gordon trained at the London School of Medicine for Women, qualifying in 1890. The Royal Free Archivist (victoria.rea@royalfree.nhs.uk) may be able to give you more details.

Elizabeth Crawford mentions Mary Gordon in Ch 4 of her book 'Enterprising Women', and in a footnote on p.320 says "Mary Gordon worked at the New Hospital for Women and in the first decade of the 20th century was the medical officer at Holloway Prison during the time in which suffragettes were held there".

The New Hospital for Women Annual Reports are held at London Metropolitan Archives, and they list all the doctors on the staff, so you can confirm that (H13/EGA/04/001-006 is the reference for the ARs for 1891-1895; H13/EGA/05/001-006 cover the next six years to 1901, etc etc)

At Holloway she would probably have been resident at the prison, looking after female prisoners. The way to find out the dates she was there would be to look for her in the Medical Directory. (The Medical Register, published by the General Medical Council, merely contains address and registerable qualifications; the Medical Directory is a commercial publication, and has much more information. The former has every Dr, the latter does not.) Although not all doctors bother to give their details to the MD, in the early days most women drs were so thrilled to be drs that they contributed their details, and kept them up to date. You'll find that info in the MD is usually a year late because of the publication lag. Full runs of the Medical Directory can be found in the Wellcome Library and at the Royal Society of Medicine.

Jennian

Sorry - forgot to say that when Mrs Pankhurst adopted four 'war babies' in about 1916 she renamed them all, and called one 'Mary Gordon'. Presumably she had met Mary Gordon in Holloway??

Jennian

Sorry - forgot to say that when Mrs Pankhurst adopted four 'war babies' in about 1916 she renamed them all, and called one 'Mary Gordon'. Presumably she had met Mary Gordon in Holloway??

Jennian

Dear Jennian

Thank you SO much for the details you have provided - more clues for my detective trail.

Best thoughts

Deborah

Deborah - I've now discovered Mary Gordon was an inspector of prisons, the first woman appointed, NOT a Medical Officer at Holloway. If you want to contact me by email I can send you more (correct) information.

Jennian