Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trawler St. Germain help please

welshdoc

Hi all. just picked up a Distinguished Service medal 1914-15 star trio, to PO RNR A7982 AJ Edwards awarded 1917 on the HM ST Germain of Aux. Partrol. Now Im guessing thats its the Dover patrol but apart from that Ive not managed to find out anything yet apart form it may be a trawler. I dont think its the ship of the same name sunk by an U boat in WW2. So any help wouild be appreciated. I'm about to try the London Gazette again to find his citation if any. Gareth

Edit just found his LG entry

http://www.londongazette.co.uk/ViewPDF.asp...service%20medal

St Germain was a hired trawler [ex-Golden City] of 1907, 307 tons, 1-6 pdr AA, minesweeper. Admiralty no. 552, Port no. H.929 [Hull].

There is a small mention of St. Germain in The Auxiliary Patrol by E. Keble Chatterton. She picked up the survivors of UB 109 on 29th July 1918 after striking a mine in the English Channel.

David.

Just found this in Swept Channels by Taffrail.

On February 26th [1917], the trawler St. Germain, commanded by Lieutenant A. Lansley D.S.C., R.N.R., struck a mine near Folkestone, the foremast being thrown over the side by the explosion. The trawler Strathgairn - Skipper Waters, D.S.C., R.N.R. - at once went to the rescue. Lansley, thinking the St. Germain was about to sink, ordered Waters alongside, and set about transferring his confidential documents, ammunition, depth charges and small moveable gear. Then going below, he examined the damage to his ship. She had struck the mine with her bows, and he found that a great volume of water was pouring in through a large crack in the foremast bulkhead.

With three men - William Forsyth, the second hand; Charles M. Foot, an engineman; and Albert Edwards, a leading seaman R.N.R. - Lansley determined to make every effort to save his ship. Having stopped up the crack in the bulkhead as best they could with mats, canvas and bedding, a tow-rope was passed to the Strathgairn, and Waters was told to tow the St. Germain stern first towards the shore. The fires of the damaged ship had been extinguished by the inflow of water, but sufficient steam remained in the boiler for the pump to be kept going. The weather became bad on the way in towards the shore. However, Lansley managed to keep the water from rising, and was able to beach his vessel at Folkestone. For their share in preserving the St. Germain, Forsyth, Foot and Edwards each received the D.S.M.

David.

David, you are a star, thats absolutely brilliant, its so nice to know why a chap won his medal. Many thanks for your time and effort. Gareth

You're welcome Gareth, that's a nice medal group you have there.

David.

Hello - To add for interest - a pre-war photo of S.T. Golden City

Cheers, Terry

post-7031-1215903066.jpg

Thanks Terry for the pic, its hard to beleive that a trawler can survive hitting a mine and a battleship or 3 at Galliploi were sunk by same.

Doc, it is just a question of where the mine made contact.

In the bows or stern you had a good chance of surviving; quite a number of ships had their bows or stern blown off completely and made it back to port.

In the enginerom area and you were likey to go down very quickly, because this section was usually very large and open.

Best wishes

David

A problem with many of the RN's pre-dreadnought battleships is they had centerline bulkheads in the Engine rooms. A mine or torpedo hit on one of them caused the ship to capsize. See Warship 2005 for more info.

Thanks guys interesting points, I must admit that I thought there was so much explosive in a mine (we used to have one on our seafront and it looked very large) that it would blow a small ship to bits. Just proves how little I know.

Gareth

This detail obtained from FLeetwood Online Archive of Trawlers

Golden City H929

Later

1914 Saint Germain

1920 Registered as H125

1920 Was sold and renamed Terra Nova

1923 Was eenamed the Santa Abdelata

Constructed 1907 by Mackie & Thomson in Glasgow Yard No. 339

Gross Tons 307 Length 140.7 ft Beam 23 ft Depth 11.9 ft

Date Scrapped 1970

This detail obtained from FLeetwood Online Archive of Trawlers

Golden City H929

Later

1914 Saint Germain

1920 Registered as H125

1920 Was sold and renamed Terra Nova

1923 Was eenamed the Santa Abdelata

Constructed 1907 by Mackie & Thomson in Glasgow Yard No. 339

Gross Tons 307 Length 140.7 ft Beam 23 ft Depth 11.9 ft

Date Scrapped 1970

A little bit more:-

Her Official Number was 124737 and during WW1 her Admiralty Number was 552.Served from Feb.1915 to 1919 as Minesweeper.

1920 went to Portugal.

Best Regards

Dave

The mine that damaged St. Germain was laid by the German submarine UC 16 on February 26, 1917. Yes, the trawler hit it the day it was laid.

Best wishes,

Michael

There was one casualty

Name: KIRK, GEORGE HERBERT

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M. Trawler "St. Germain."

Date of Death: 26/02/1917

Service No: 5843DA

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 26.

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Bit unlucky hitting a day old mine.

• 5 years later...
Guest Mickbeth

Hi, my name is Michelle and I can across this post. I am trying to Find any further records of this salvage, as lieut. A.I.Lansley D.S.C, R.N.R was my great grandfather. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. It means the world to me. Kind Regards

Michelle,

Sir Reginald Bacon's "The Dover Patrol" (he was Admiral Commanding Dover) has an account of Lansley's action. You could get it from a library.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tony Babb

Hi, my name is Michelle and I can across this post. I am trying to Find any further records of this salvage, as lieut. A.I.Lansley D.S.C, R.N.R was my great grandfather. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. It means the world to me. Kind Regards

Hi Michelle.

After the St. Germain was beached it was salvaged by RFA Racer.

My son's Great Grandfather John Foulkes was a salvage rigger on the Racer and left us documents, one of which shows that the Germain was the 2nd ship that they salvaged after HMS Racer had been converted to a salvage ship,

If you want to get details of the Racer you can look on the Historical RFA website link below

http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-racer

He did not leave any pictures or words of this actual salvage unfortunately.

I hope you find this of interest.

Regards

Tony

• 2 years later...
Guest Melanie Lee{Kirk}
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2008 at 19:13, welshdoc said:

There was one casualty

Name: KIRK, GEORGE HERBERT

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M. Trawler "St. Germain."

Date of Death: 26/02/1917

Service No: 5843DA

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 26.

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Bit unlucky hitting a day old mine.

This is the bit I am interested George Herbert Kirk was my Great Grandfather some records show 25/02/1916? He was a Wood Box Maker from Grimsby before being called up for the reserves. He left behind his wife Gertrude who was a fishing net braider, 3 daughters and 2 sons, one of which was my grandfather Albert Edward Kirk who was an Engine stoker on fishing boats ended up in Hull and had my dad Captain Raymond Kirk {Merchant Navy}. just thought I would post make George seem more real rather than just a casualty.

• 1 year later...

I recently found an original book  The Dover Patrol 1915-17 this book has A Lansley stamped in the front cover and is signed by him under his name, the most interesting thing there is an original photo of the trawler showing the damage from the mine, this was in the book, where it describes hitting the mine.

How this book which was his, found its way to New-Zealand would be an interesting story.