Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peterkin John J.

Guest Desmond6

On our war memorial in Ballymena we have the name John J. Peterkin.

The only John J. Peterkin I can find on CWWG does not seem to have any connection with Ballymena. Can anybody help me through SDGW?

I have checked the NI 'phone book and there is not a single Peterkin to be seen. I'm perplexed.

11992 Guardsman John James Peterkin Scots Guards

Born Ballymena

Enlisted Edinburgh

Resided Leith

Killed in Action

I think it fair to assume, therefore, that his parents (or next of kin) were still living in Northern Ireland - but John was working and living in Scotland when he enlisted.

I am also researching the names on a local memorial (Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire. There are six named casualties ) and my first check was with cwgc and I was surprised to find that the regiments they served with ranged from Royal West Kent, Worcestershire, Sherwood Foresters, Northants as well as the Leicestershire regiment. Furthermore the next of kin were from Bedfordshire Warwickshire and other nearby villages. One casualty is on Sutton Cheney memorial as well as the village where his next of kin were living. It makes me think that when checking newspaper reports I might have to go further afield. I am new to this so I thank this site for providing so much information. Raggedstaff