Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Practice Trenches

Mark Foxe

Previously I requested, and kindly received, portions of 36 NW 2 & NE 1 near Houplines (showing boxes 22, 23, 28 & 29).

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to see if they could provide me with 36 NW 2 & NE 1 that shows box H 3?

This was the location of a replica set of trenches Monash had constructed before the battalion sized raid (825 men) in late February 1917 at Pont Ballot.

I doubt whether any maps actually show the practice trenches, constructed in H 3 a & b, which I believe will be not far from Erquinghem (where the raiders were billeted), but I am just keen to get an interpretation of the lie of the land and piece together the story in a bit more detail.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I found a snippet of information in correspondence from MAJGEN Monash to LTGEN Godley's ADC about this training area. It is dated 18 February 1917 (8 days before the large raid for which a battalion size force were practising), and it reads in part:

'Best plan for him to meet me and General McNICOLL (Comd 10th Australian Infantry Brigade) and the Raiding Team, which he wishes to see at work, will be on the road leading from the intersection just west of L'EPINETTE to ERQUINGHEM, about half way between the intersection and the River. - The map reference is H.3.b.7.6. I shall await the Corps Commander there at 10 o'clock on Wednesday morning, 21st instant.'

Monash's personal diary for 21st February 1917 reads: 'Corps Commander visits raiding team & the Brigade transport parks.'

So obviously Godley's ADC was able to translate Monash's directions.

I would be grateful if someone could assist with a trench map image showing this area on 36 NW 2 & NE.

Regards,

Mark

x marks the spot.

Husband of wife's great aunt is buried there (Erquinghem-Lys)

post-16790-1217938764.jpg

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Outstanding! Thanks very much Simon for your speedy assistance.

Hopefully I will be visiting this area in the next 6 months so if you want a photograph of your great uncle (if you don't already possess one), just holler!

Regards,

Mark