Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 09.07.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 9th July.

Pte Fred BALL

22058 1st Bn, East Yorkshire Regiment

Died 14.07.16 Age 29

Commemoration: Thiepval Memorial, France

Gnr Richard Frederick DYER

2709 Royal Garrison Artillery

Died 07.11.16 Age 38

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Pte George HAMILTON

19308 9th Bn, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Died 01.07.16 Age 22

Pte James SMYTH

16318 9th Bn, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Died 01.07.16 Age 33

NOT FORGOTTEN

Ptes Hamilton and Smyth were put forward by GWF on 09.06.08 on behalf of member, Wesley Wright.

Pte Ball and Gnr Dyer are further discoveries by the In From The Cold Project. The volunteers who found these men are listed below.

Pte Ball – Killed in action (Volunteer: apwright)

Gnr Dyer – Died of gastric ulcer (Volunteer: Will O’Brien)

MAY THEY REST IN PEACE

So pleased that all these men are now remembred , but especially George Hamilton and James Smyth from the Cookstown area (Co. Tyrone) . LoOk forward to seeing their names on Thiepval memorial.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

Wesley Wright

Wresley

whats the story

Chris

Wresley

whats the story

Chris

I am Chairman of the Friends of the Somme --Mid-Ulster Branch based in Cookstown Co.Tyrone(my wifes home town) and 10 miles from my place of birth In Magherafelt(Co.L'Derry).

Several years ago Cokstown council decided that they would like a book to remember all the war dead(WW1 &WW2) from the present council area which stretches into the above two counties.

The old council area was much smaller during both World wars. Cookstown Cenotaph contained 120 names from WW1 and 46 from WW2.

The book has biographical details of well over 450 names, covering both wars. I had been compiling a rolls of honour for the area + my home area +East Antrim area where I now live over the past 10 years. to help our annual trip to the battlefields.

My vice chairman Martin who lives in Cookstown and I where approached by the council to compile the book

The book took approx. 2 years with Martin and myself and a council director and with advice of Robert Thompson( a Great war historian and researcher) The book was launched on 31st October 2007 with over 250 guests.

Many of the men have substancial details, where they worked, parents location of grave,memorial +battles involved etc. The book has almost 400 pages

Amongst these ,two men -George Hamilton and James Smyth had no Cwgc record.

James Smyth is recorded on Cookstown Cenotaph and his home church. George Hamilton come from Lissan about 5 miles from Cookstown and only is recorded in his own church.

Both men served in the 9th "Skins" and died on 01st July 1916. Both are recorded on SDGW and the Roll of Honour of the Royal Innikillen Fusiliers in the Great War by Sir Frank Fox.

Sorry to be "long winded" but we are delighted with the bookand its reception in the area.

Wesley

Wesley

thanks very much & well done for bringing them in from the cold

Chris