Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Breaking news from Ieper

gnr.ktrha

I know the men were found near Westhoek but does anyone know the exact location (new map reference and/or old trench map reference)?

Many thanks.

Neil

Andrew

Thanks for posting this excellent news that another soldier has been identified and that his family now know where Pte Storey rests.

Let's hope that many more families benefit from dna identification.

Myrtle

The Australians and Americans use DNA to identify their War Dead.... what a pity the UK don't ... Cost again I suppose .. or is there no will to do so?

Chris. ("Disgruntled of Cowes")

Chris - it will be difficult for the UK not to get involved if the Australians decide to us DNA ID at Fromelles - most interesting to see what happens there.

Ian - I wait with "Baited Breath" past records do not augur well ... but I live in hope ... just think of all those Families who could have a "closure" if the UK does. Would set a precedent for the future though.

Chris

Of the three graves of the unknowns, does anyone know which one is Pte Storey's ?

Thank you

Peter

• 1 month later...

Department of Defence Media Mail List

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSPA 310/08 Tuesday, 23 September 2008

RE-DEDICATION OF HEADSTONE FOR AUSTRALIAN WWI SOLDIER BURIED IN BELGIUM: PRIVATE STOREY IDENTITY CONFIRMED

WHO: Relatives of the late Private George Storey, including his two nephews Geoffrey and David Storey; Australian Minister for Defence Science and Personnel, the Hon Warren Snowdon MP; Senior Army Representative, Major General Mike O’Brien.

WHAT: Re-dedication of Private Storey’s headstone, which currently reads ‘Known unto God’.

WHERE: Buttes New British Cemetery, Polygon Wood, Belgium

WHEN: 2.45pm for 3pm start, Tuesday 30 September 2008

In October 2007, the remains of five Australian soldiers who fell during the Battle of Polygon Wood in 1917 were re-interred in a moving ceremony with full-military honours at the Buttes New British Cemetery, Belgium. The remains of these soldiers were discovered in 2006 during excavation works near the village of Westhoek.

Prior to burial, DNA matching was able to confirm the identity of two of those soldiers; Private John Hunter and Sergeant George Calder. The remaining three soldiers were interred under individual headstones marked ‘Known unto God’. However, their DNA profiles were retained in the hope that a future match may provide the necessary evidence to confirm their identities.

Advances in DNA technology resulted last month in the confirmation of the identity of Private George Richard Storey. He was killed in action on 30 September 1917, and 91 years later members of Private Storey’s family, along with the Minister for Defence Science and Personnel, will witness the re-dedication of his headstone in a short graveside ceremony.

Media note: Media are invited to attend the ceremony, and should register their interest with the Australian Embassy, Belgium by Thursday 25 September to meet accreditation requirements.

Media contacts:

Isabelle Draux, Public Affairs Manager- Australian Embassy, Belgium:

+32 (0) 2 286 0511 or +32 (0) 486 137 511

Kate Sieper, Media Adviser- Minister Snowdon: +61 (0) 488 484 689

Australian Defence Media Liaison:

+61 (0) 2 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664

Typical Aussies :D Picking a day when I am on Gallipoli.

It is wonderful news and I will visit his graveside in November and pay my respects.

I feel really close to these five men and hope that one day all will have a headstone with their name on.

sm

From West Australian Newspapers website.

Brothers embark on emotional journey for lost uncle

30th September 2008, 6:00 WST

Belgium bone collector Johan Vandewalle at the new grave of WWI digger George Storey and the Zonnebeke Five. Picture: Jenni Storey

Click here to find out more!

Like two Storey brothers nine decades before them, West Australians David and Geoff Storey embark on an emotional journey to the battlefields of Flanders today.

In 1916 their father Jack Storey and his brother George joined the 51st Battalion to fight in one of the most brutal campaigns of World War I – the Battle of Passchendaele.

In June the following year both Subiaco brothers were wounded. Jack was shipped off to England with a gunshot injury to the thigh, but George remained and was part of an Australian contingent tasked with holding a strategic piece of Belgian land known as Polygon Wood. More than 5700 Diggers died in the September 26 offensive but the position was taken and held. A few days later 22-year-old George Storey was killed by a shell during mopping up operations.

“Pte Storey and his comrades were buried in the field at Westhoek Ridge where they fell,” says his army service record. But, like the 80,000 soldiers of the British Empire whose bodies were never recovered after Passchendaele, George Storey joined the ranks of those with “no known grave”.

But all that changed two years ago when the remains of five soldiers were uncovered during excavation works. After an exasperating 18-month identification process, George Storey was identified by DNA as “soldier number one” from a group that has become known locally as the Zonnebeke Five.

This afternoon, on the 91st anniversary of his death, his nephews David and Geoff will join the Australian and Belgian military for a ceremony at Buttes Cemetery, “just up the hill” from where he died.

David Storey, of Menora, said he was relieved that 18 months of uncertainty had ended.

“I’m excited that after years of genealogical research George has turned from a fact on a dusty piece of paper into a real person,” he said. “Today at long last we’ll be able to say both hello and goodbye and he will finally be at rest with his mates.”

Geoff Storey agreed emotions leading up to today’s ceremony were mixed.

“It feels like we’re just getting to meet him for the first time, while at the same time we’re saying goodbye,” said Mr Storey, of Bridgetown. “I can’t help but think of my grandmother who must have gone through terrible agonies on the home front with George dead and his brother, my father, badly wounded.

“This provides some degree of closure to a part of the family’s history that has, until now, remained a mystery.”

Military research shows that the site where the Diggers’ remains were unearthed was a temporary burial ground for Australian soldiers. It is believed that the Zonnebeke Five were missed by clearance teams after the war.

Johan Vandewalle, the Belgian man tasked with excavating the bodies from the 60cm-deep hole, said four sets of remains including Pte Storey’s were wrapped in a field blanket with their arms crossed over their lower stomach then bound in signal wire. Another was tightly wrapped in a heavier ground sheet and his remains were almost mummified.

“To hold the bones of these soldiers in my own hands was, well it was something very serious for me,” he said. “I saw them, I touched them, I smelled them – now there is nothing left for me to do.

“I found a Rising Sun badge on George Storey and he had a complete set of very white teeth and inside his skull his brain was perfectly preserved and dry like a sponge.

“His boots were muddy but still in tact.

“The further I went the more emotional I became – they were all so perfect.”

DNA samples from relatives identified two sets of the remains last year as Sgt George Calder, of Victoria, and Pte John Hunter, of Queensland, but no close female relative meant Pte Storey and two others could not be positively identified.

However, earlier this year Belgium’s National Institute for Criminology revealed a breakthrough using the DNA of a close male relative.

Brussels-based scientist Dr Christine DeGreef said a saliva swab from David Storey had provided a positive match using a Y-chromosome DNA technique.

The remains of all five Diggers were reinterred at Butte Cemetery last year on the 90th anniversary of the battle.

“My uncle was buried as an unknown solider then, but now they are changing his headstone and he can be properly laid to rest,” David Storey said.

ZONNEBEKE

JENNI STOREY

Minister for Defence Media Mail List

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday 1 October 2008

137/2008

91 YEARS ON: RE-DEDICATION OF PRIVATE STOREY’S HEADSTONE IN BELGIUM

On September 30 1917, 21-year-old Australian soldier Private George Richard Storey fell in the Battle of Polygon Wood, and now his family has been able to pay their respects at his gravesite on the anniversary of his death.

Minister for Defence Science and Personnel, the Hon Warren Snowdon MP, attended the Buttes New British Cemetery, Belgium, where the headstone ‘Known unto God’ was today re-dedicated to Private Storey.

“This has been a long journey for Private Storey’s family, particularly his two nephews who are here today, and I am pleased they now have the opportunity to lay this brave soldier to rest under a named headstone,” Minister Snowdon said.

“The commemoration of our war dead is a significant responsibility that the Government takes very seriously, and moments like this confirm the importance of honouring our fallen soldiers.”

During the intimate ceremony, the celebrant officially dedicated Private Storey’s headstone, and the Australian Army’s Major General Mike O’Brien recited the Ode following a moving rendition of the Last Post. The service complemented the full-military funeral which took place when Private Storey’s remains were re-interred, along with four of his comrades’, last October.

“The ceremony to re-dedicate Private Storey’s headstone was a dignified event which recognised his sacrifice on behalf of the Australian nation,” Minister Snowdon said.

“The memory of this brave young man, and the loss borne by his family, will live on for future generations, and it was my great honour to join his relatives here today.”

Minister Snowdon is in Belgium to attend Private Storey’s re-dedication ceremony, and will also take the opportunity to lay a wreath at Menin Gate during the daily commemorative service.

Pictures of the re-dedication ceremony will be available after 8am at: http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download

Media contacts:

Kate Sieper (Warren Snowdon):

02 6277 7620 or 0488 484 689

Defence Media Liaison:

02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664

great news and a very moving story. . its great for the family to see this all happen. well done to that man who persivered all these years.

mike.