Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barrow Unit

paul guthrie

A lady is buried in Midway Kentucky cemetery which also has a veteran's memorial to all who served. May Hicks served in this, I can't find anything, thanks for any help.

t

From The Kentucky Encyclopedia:

Good Samaritan Hospital Unit No 40 (Barrow Unit), organised by Dr David Barrow of Lexington during World War I, was staffed by Kentucky doctors, nurses and soldiers in Europe. As a member of the American expeditionary forces, Barrow accompanied the unit to England in July 1918 and set up the hospital at a large country estate near Southampton; it became one of the largest American hospitals in Europe. In March 1919, when the Barrow Unit returned, many Kentuckians assembled on the Lexington courthouse grounds to pay tribute to it. In 1957 a new Army Reserve Training Centre in Lexington was named for Dr Barrow.

Thanks a lot, lexington where I live for is 13 miles from Midway which is midway between here, the largest city in the bluegrass region and Frankfort the state capitol. it's a very pretty small town which attracts a lot of tourists in the middle of the most beautiful thouroughbred horse farms in the world.

A lady is buried in Midway Kentucky cemetery which also has a veteran's memorial to all who served. May Hicks served in this, I can't find anything, thanks for any help.

t

Paul, Do you know when the lady died as I can't see that she died during the war period? You haven't said that she did (or didn't) but it would be nice to know for my own research.

July 31 1876 March 8 1946. A friend is going to see what is available at Liberty Memorial Kansas City and I will look at Lexington papers march 1919.