Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

428th Coy Labour Corps

RedCoat

Hi all,

I am not expecting much with this one, 428th Agricultural Company Labour Corps. Can anyone give me any more info on this Coy?.....my Great Grandad served with them towards the end of the war.

Donnie

Donnie

428 had their HQ at Norwich. The trouble with Agricultural Compaies is that usualy men lived at home or on the farm where they were employed

The HQ was little more than an administrative base and, of course, they did not keep War Diaries.

Ivor

Well many thanks,

My great grandad actually lived in Norwich during the war, is this just coincedance or was he posted to this Coy because he was local?

Donnie

Donnie

From my research it appears that most men were sent to Agricultural Companies close to their homes. Many lived at home travelling each day to the farm where they were employed. Men not from the area would often live at the farm where they were employed.

I have also come across men who were in an Agricultural Company whose HQ was hundreds of miles from where they were employed. As an example one man was in a C ompany whose HQ was in Southern Command but he worked on a farm in norfolk (close to his home address).

Ivor