Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the two WW2 New Zealand graves at Villers-Bretonneux

Sly

Bonjour,

I apologize because my question is not exactly related to the Great War but I would like to know more about the two WW2 graves in Villers-Bretonneux cemetery. They are on the left of the cross of sacrifice and they are two airmen from New Zealand (pilot and navigator) died on the 6th April 1945.

To my knowledge, they are the only two WW2 graves in this WW1 cemetery.

At this time (only one month before the end of the war) were no battles here, so I guess that their plane crashed somewhere around ? Do you know more about them ?

many thanks,

Sly

487 Sqn RNZAF flew Mosquito fighter-bombers as part of 2nd Tactical Air Force during this period - might be??

487 Sqn RNZAF flew Mosquito fighter-bombers as part of 2nd Tactical Air Force during this period - might be??

It would explain why there are only two (Mosquito Crew)

It would explain why there are only two (Mosquito Crew)

Coe, Arthur John

Coe_AJ.JPGCemetery: Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery

Area: Somme

Official Number: 404530

Unit: 487 Sqdn. Royal New Zealand Air Force

Force: Air Force

Nationality: New Zealand

Details:

06/04/45 Aged 25 Plot 7. Row BB. Grave 11. Son of John Coe and of Helen Mildred Coe (nee Chamberlain), of Irwell, Canterbury, New Zealand; husband of Linda Margaret Coe, of Christchurch, Canterbury.

Medwin, Ian George

Medwin_IG.JPG

Cemetery: Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery

Area: Somme

Official Number: 41488

Unit: 487 Sqdn. Royal New Zealand Air Force

Force: Air Force

Nationality: New Zealand

Details:

Mentioned in Despatches 06/04/45 Aged 27 Plot 7. Row BB. Grave 10. Son of Hubert George and Rhoda Medwin, of Claudelands, Auckland, New Zealand.

There's a picture of Ian Medwin on the Auckland War Memorial Cenotaph here. There isn't one for Arthur John Coe, unfortunately.

Getting onto a vaguely WW1 subject for the forum, it looks as though AJ Coe's father, John Coe, had fought in the NZEF.

Surname COE

Given Name John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 7/687

Rank Lieutenant

Body or Draft Second

Unit or Regiment Canterbury Mounted Rifles

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address The Grange Irwell Canterbury

Next of Kin Title E F

Next of Kin Surname COE

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Irwell Canterbury

Allie

• 4 years later...

Having wondered about this every time I visited VB cemetery, I was interested to learn more, despite it not being a Great War subject. I came across the following information:

Coe had been injured previously in an accident, and had been treated at Doncaster Infirmary and (later) transferred to the RAF Hospital Rauceby on 19 November, 1941. As a result of the accident he had two fingers amputated, a fractured right leg, and his ears and face burnt. He was discharged from hospital in January 1942. On 10 May 1942, he embarked for New Zealand on repatriation for ground duties. However, he embarked for the United Kingdom in October 1943, arriving in the December, and was accepted for flying duties. Commissioned and on his thirtieth sortie, he died, with his skipper S/L Ian George Medwin RNZAF, on 6 April 1945, when their 487 Squadron Mosquito FB.VI SZ990/E crashed shortly after take off from Rosieres-en-Santerre. Both officers were buried on 11 April at the Anzac Cemetery at Villers Bretonneux.

post-927-0-56263200-1347212297_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Sqn. Ldr. Ian Medwin was my mother's brother, and he was flying a Mosquito from 487 Sqn as suggested.  It crashed on take off and I can only assume that he and AJ Coe were buried at Villers Bretonneux because it was an Australian War memorial cemetery and was close. This all happened a month before VE day.  I had long wanted to find it and was fortunately able to visit his grave in 2015 at the age of 65.   Interestingly, Ian was born in Tasmania although he moved to NZ at the age of about 5.  His first tour was with 37 Sqn. flying 33 sorties over Greece, Crete and the Western Desert.  He became a member of  the 'Late Arrivals Club' when he was shot down in flames and crash landed near Tobtuk in Jun 1942.  Although injured he walked back through enemy lines and was picked up by a forward army patrol.

Edited by Guest

• 4 years later...

Just two days ago I visited the WW1 Australian War Memorial and cemetery at Villers Bretonneux. Anyone in the vicinity is strongly urged to visit this beautiful site.

My curiosity about the two incongruous WW2 graves of Pilot & Navigator, Coe & Medwin, has been answered by posters above; thank you all for this information

For those who have not seen these images, here are the two grave markers of RNZAF Mosquito crew, Coe & Medwin:

Navigator Coe.jpg

Pilot Medwin.jpg