Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldiers

Liam

Very soon I will be posting some details and pictures of the grandfather of a friend of ours who served in the German Army during WW1.

I had a very intersting night at our friend's house and he showed me all of his father's and grandfather's medals and service books.

Herbert has been in England for 30 years now, just over half his life. His wife is English and his children are bi lingual (His daughter is married to one of my best mates).

Anyway, where I am coming from is whether there are any official records of German soldiers service available and where we can write if we want some info.

Liam

Liam, It all depends upon what unit he served in. If it was from Bavaria, Württemberg, Baden or Saxony there is a chance of obtaining information. If it was a Prussian regiment then I am afraid there is little to go on, most being destroyed at the end of WW2.

Can you provide any details?

Ralph

Liam, It all depends upon what unit he served in. If it was from Bavaria, Württemberg, Baden or Saxony there is a chance of obtaining information. If it was a Prussian regiment then I am afraid there is little to go on, most being destroyed at the end of WW2.

Can you provide any details?

Ralph

He was Bavarian,

The Regimental number on one of the medal boxes is -

Bayr.M.V.Kr3.Kl

Liam

He was Bavarian,

The Regimental number on one of the medal boxes is - Bayr.M.V.Kr3.Kl

Bayrisches Militärverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse = Bavarian Military Service Cross, 3rd Class.

Do you know which unit of the Bavarian Army he (they?) served in?

The Bavarian military archive repository, the Kriegsarchiv in Munich, survived WW2 intact.

He was Bavarian,

The Regimental number on one of the medal boxes is -

Bayr.M.V.Kr3.Kl

Liam

This award of the III Class came in two degrees, with Crown & Swords and with Swords.

post-18479-1215343195.jpg

From Right to Left:

I Class with Crown & Swords, with Swords.

II Class with Crown & Swords, with Swords

III Class with Crown & Swords, with Swords.

The last is an example of the Zink late war variation with swords.

(to Complete this set all that is needed is the Zink with Crown & Swords).

All these Crosses were at the lower end of the Bavarian Military Service Order (BVO) Range.

Connaught Stranger :D

Thanks everyone. I should be getting a copy of his service book tomorrow so can post more.

It may well be that there is little more that can be added as the book does have much detail.

The medal was the 3rd Class one with swords - no crown. He also had an Iron Cross with the group. This guy signed up in 1909 and served throughout the war.

Liam

Dear Liam!

If you have any questions about german uniforms or histories of army formations, let me know. I´ve got a lot of informations of that.

Cheers, Andreas