Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any good lunch stops in Loos/Vimy Area?

Glenn

How big a group? If more than 20, I would say your only real choice would be Arras. There is little in this respect in this area.

For smaller groups we have used the Cafe in Fromelles (the Cock-Fighting one in the village!) and the Restaurant Diorama at Souchez, which does an excellent omelette and chips.

I don't have contact details for either to hand, but only the Fromelles one could take a full size coach - but you would need French to speak with them, and agree on sandwich choices in advance. They cannot do 'on the spot' meals.

Guest Simon Bull

Paul do you mean that cock-fighting actually still goes on at the Café in Fromelles? I know that the French, arguably, have a less-enlightened attitude to animal welfare than the British, but I did imagine that they had banned cock-fighting. Or is there some other, hopefully more innocent, explanation?

Simon Bull

No sorry, Simon, they still have cock-fighting matches there... I was really surprised the first time I went, as I thought it was illegal, even in France. Seemingly not! Thankfully, all the times I have eaten and drunk there, no matches were going on! :blink:

Guest Simon Bull

Gross. You will not catch me eating there. I am not the slightest bit of a Little Englander, but this sort of thing does put me off crossing the channel!

Simon - yes, I quite agree. Despite having lived among them for many years, the French continue to surprise me in many ways - not all of them pleasing! :rolleyes:

Chris - well done, I had forgotten about that one. I have stayed nearby in the LensHotel, and eaten here - Flunches are great and excellent value for money.