Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt john e. Moore RGA

ponks

Iam trying to locate the battery my father-in law served in.He was commisioned june 1917 and left Winchester for France in Sept 1917. He was badly gassed during the battle of Passchendaele,near to Clapham Junction.He was sent to Osborne House on the IOW.He later was posted to his unit in India however he was taken ill on board ship and off loaded in southern Italy.After a period in hospital he was sent to the British Army HQ in N.Italy as a liasion officer, returning to the UK in 1919.

Any help in tracing his battery and where he was wounded would be wonderful. Thanks i know its a long shot but i am not sure where to start. Ponks (also an ex -gunner)

I cannot answer your questions but as Lt. Moore was commissioned into the RGA Special Reserve there is a very good possibility that his service papers are at the National Archives under WO339. Dick Flory

I cannot answer your questions but as Lt. Moore was commissioned into the RGA Special Reserve there is a very good possibility that his service papers are at the National Archives under WO339. Dick Flory

Many thanks for the reply and advice ponks

It would be good to think that he was this gunner

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Comm. 30-6-1917, but 1914/15 Star is to 194342 Sgt. Moore, while serving with 23 Heavy Battery. France Sept. 1915.... and a MM. Possibly former RFA.

Dick is right, a visit to Kew would be a good idea.

Kevin

Thanks will go to Kew,Ponks