Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Embarkation Rolls query

Mark JP

I have never actually viewed one of these but wondered if someone who has could anser if the rolls show the roll of the man within the battalion? For instance, My Great Uncle went with the 7th battalion KRRC to France in 1915, Pvt J Moran 8009, and if he were say a cook would it list `Cook'?

Mark

Bumped this up as no replies in 24 hours is a first for anything I have asked. Are we all stumped? I bet not.

Mark,

By coincidence I only found out that there was such a thing as an "Embarkation Roll" from someone on this forum very recently. So I went along to the National Archives and found them under the WO25 series of files.

I found that the officers were named but other ranks were just listed as a quantity (if that's the right word). For example - the roll for the sailing of the SS Grampian from Devonport on the 26 October 1915 to the Mediterranean ports shows that there was, amongst other units, a draft of 140 men from the 7th North Staffords.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Hello Mark,

I did see your posting and toyed with the idea of replying but my knowledge on this subject is not too good. I thought the term "Embarkation lists" only applied up to November 22nd 1914. Your particular embarkation being 1915. I do have the embarkation lists for three Battalions of the Worcesters. They do have the names of the soldiers but not their regimental numbers nor their role/job within the Bn. Later drafts of soldiers sent to any Bn. simply had the amount of men, not even a name.

Regards Mike Jones