Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj Gen Ingouville-Williams

Michael

Does anyone have details on the above officer, killed in action in 1916?

I'm particularly interested in whether he was associated with the Buffs in the 1881

Michael

Michael

For all your General Officer needs, contact John Bourne at the Centre for First World War Studies via firstworldwar@bham.ac.uk. It may be that you can reciprocate with useful information for John's project on GOCs.

Bryn

Major-General Edward Charles Ingouville-Williams C.B., D.S.O., had a long Staff and active service record. He fought in the battles of Atbara and Khartoum and took part in the Relief of Ladysmith, was present at the actions of Spion Kop, Vaal Krans, and Tugela Heights.

War Illustrated 2.9.16 Roll of Honour

post-1-1077193886.jpg

That's only information about why he was called 'Inky Bill'. I'm sure John B would be interested in communicating more detailed information if you contact him.

Does anyone have details on the above officer, killed in action in 1916?

I'm particularly interested in whether he was associated with the Buffs in the 1881

Michael

Bob

I didn't think your post was very helpful at first given the original question. However, it made me think of the book 'Bloody Red Tabs' where, in answer to Michael's original question it says:

"Edward Charles Ingouville-Williams was born in December 1861 and commissioned into the East Kent Regiment from the Militia in 1881".

Buffs = East Kents - ergo per sum quid pro quo ...

Ingouville-Williams was commissioned into the East Kent Regiment from

the Militia in 1881. He served on active service with the Sudan Expedition 1884-1895 and on the Nile Expedition 1898-1899, employed as a Special Service Officer with the Egyptian Army. During the Boer War he served on Sir Charles Warren's staff as Provost Marshall and later commanded a mobile column. He transferred to the Worcestershire Regt and commanded the 2nd Bn, 1904-1908. 1910-1912, Commandant, School of Mounted Infantry and the Brigade Commander, 16th Infantry Brigade from 1912.

As for "Inky Bill", it was the soldiers play on words.

Terry Reeves.

Thanks everybody for your replies, they were all very helpful.

I now have my suspicions confirmed. I've just acquired the 1839 Historical Records of the Buffs. Written in the front cover is ECI Williams 1881. As he was commissioned into the Buffs that year, I believe (and hope!) that the book once belonged to him.

His picture appears in the memorial book to the 1st Bn Buffs and wondered what his association was with the Regiment. Now I know

Thanks again Pals

Michael