Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal & Bar 1916 - 1919 Book

tommie

Whilst at work the other day I noticed a colleague was tying a book, when I asked her about it she said she was typing it up for a friend who was a medal collector.

The book was the above Military Medal and Bar 1916 – 1919, it lists recipients of the MM and Bar, giving Number, Rank, Name, Regt, MM Gazette date, and Bar Gazette date.

Not that I have any local men with MM and Bar, there is a Bathgate lad with MM and two bars though, so I took a copy of it anyway.

Do not know if it is a common book, so if anyone wants any details from it just ask.

Tom

i might just tke you up on that offer, still have a few to find!

Mandy

• 4 months later...

Hi Tom

I was wondering if u could help me.

In reply to another query of mine about the medal roll and the award of a MM and bar to my great uncle I received the following answer from a fellow member of the forum.

"A separate series of cards was maintained for 'gallantry' awards (held at NA, Kew under references WO372/23 and WO372/24) which listed these awards and the relevant London Gazette issue detail amongst other things.

However, although I can find Dick Phillips' 'campaign' medal card online at NA, I can't find either of the cards for his MM and Bar. They should be there but as far as I can see they're not, missed in copying perhaps?"

I had reached a dead end but if u could look at the information you have and look up Dick Phillips 7th Royal Fusiliers (GS/65788) and Essex Regiment(11164) I might have some more info on thi sbrave man.

I have the medal and bar in my possession and I have found the two references in the London Gazette

London Gazette 21st January 1919 (31142 Page 1217 (15). Entry says he was in 13Bn Royal Fusiliers .

London Gazette Friday 13th June 1919 (4th Supplement ) 31405 Page 7646 (6). Entry says he was in 13th Bn Royal Fusiliers.

Thank you

Best Wishes

Peter