Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dunkirk Evacuation

chrisharley9

I may just possibly have a non commemoration from the Dunkirk Evacuation of 1940 - he is Harold Porter of Leigh on Sea aged 18 of the cockle boat Renown

First of all where do you find a DC for those who died at sea during this period as civilians

Secondly did these temporary sailors have military status for the purposes of commemoration by the CWGC

Chris

Chris,

There have been TV programmes about the 'little ships', and in particular the cockle fishermen from Leigh, whose comparatively large and flat-bottomed boats, manned by their peacetime crews, sometimes supplemented by RN personnel, were particularly suited to taking men off the beaches away from the permanent and improvised piers at Dunkirk.

CWGC records and commemorates civilian casualties of WW2, so even if your man did not acquire temporary military status, he would surely qualify as a civilian casualty.

Mick

Mick

i have found the lad I was after - he was actually RN a point the source did not make clear - the cockle fishermen who died with him are listed as Naval Auxilary Personnel (MN)

Thanks for your comments

Chris