Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Everard Whitting

Trenchrat

Hello I have the photos of the above named officer and would like to know more about his military career. In WW I he was a major with the Military Cross and rose to be a Brigadier General by WW 2. Any help would be appreciated.

Everard le Grise Whitting was in the artillery and our forum expert on their officers is Dick Flory

I would send him a PM to see if he has anything on this chap

I've had a quick look through the London Gazette but have not been able to find his MC

He was Mentioned a couple of times

once for actions in Egypt [LG 21st June 1916 (refers to actions after 12 Feb 1915)]

and later for Gallipoli [LG 5th Aug 1915]

In Egypt and Gallipoli he was serving with an Indian mountian battery, 26th (Jacob's) Mountain Battery.

He was awarded the DSO in the New Years Honours for 1st Jan 1918 for distinguished service in the field

and the last entry was

Maj. E. Le G. Whitting, D.S.O., M.C., relinquishes the appt. of Adjt. 3rd Nov.1920. [London Gazette 23rd November 1920]

If you have any photographs of his from Gallipoli then it would be nice to see them

best regards

Michael

Here's his MC citation (LG#29275, 25 August 1915)....

Captain Everard Le Grice Whitting, Royal Artillery, 26th Jacob's Mountain Battery, Indian Army.

For consistently good and gallant service during operations near Gaba Tepe, Dardanelles, from 25th April, 1915, and especially

on 27th April in directing the fire of a warship whilst exposed to the enemy's heavy rifle fire. Captain Whitting again displayed conspicuous gallantry on 13th June; when his emplacement came under severe fire he withdrew the whole of his men and remained himself in the position as an Observer, under heavy fire the whole time and at great personal risk.

Citation is over two pages so the Link to the Gazette is Here and Here

Regards

Steve

SteveE,

I must come over for a lesson some time to learn how you do that

................................................................................

John,

If you go to http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/diary.asp?diary=70

then you will find that the AWM has the War Diary of the 7th Indian Mountain Artillery Brigade available to download in pdf format

This is for the month of May 1915 and Whitting's name commences the 26th J M Battery's entry of the 10th May - it's very difficult to read (for me anyway) but may be rewarding. His name appears in most of the 26th's entries thereafter

The 26th's Battery's own War Diary is at the National Archives in the UK, but how you will access that from Florida I do not know

regards

Michael