Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin John Young DSO

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

Speaking to my Uncle yesterday about his father/my grandfather's time in WW1, it turns out that he has a boot brush that was, ostensibly, my grandfather's from the war. On it, however, is carved the name:

Edwin John Young DSO

(the first 4 in the number above could also be interpreted as a 6 apparently)

My grandfather was a CSM in the 1/24th Battalion of the London Regiment and why he has Edwin's boot brush we will never know, but I would like to find out who Edwin was if at all possible. He must have been an officer to have a DSO, but I have no idea whether he survived the war or not. I have tried to look on the NA medal cards catalogue and the CWG site, but can't seem to find anyone with that name and that #. I also looked in the History of the 47th Division's lists of awards and there is no Young down as having been awarded a DSO. Anyone have any ideas how I might find more about the elusive Edwin?

Many thanks

Richard

no edwin john young listed in debretts 1924 as a DSO winner

or in the london gazette :(

Very mysterious - I'll get my Uncle to check the details again, but he seemed pretty clear on the name and DSO - although the number was less clear. Thanks for trying anyway - much appreciated

Richard