Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Isaac Wallis smith mc Royal engineers

barrowford29

Hello everyone. Lt. Smith was taken prisoner on the 23-3-1918 and I was wondering if there would be a way to find out which camp(s) he was taken to. On his medal card it also says exonerated officers list 26. Would he have been interviewed after the war (presuming he was captive until the end) ? If so does anyone know how I could find out more?

Thank you.

regards

Andy

Andy

One of the men I am researching, Capt. H G Whitaker, was on Exonerated Officers List 30. The way I have phrased this in telling his story is as below -

"All those officers who were captured and who returned home after the war had to complete a report into the circumstances of their capture. The main purpose of these reports was to ascertain the conduct of the officers and ensure that he had not surrendered in suspicious circumstances.

After their repatriation report had been considered and accepted by the committee set up to examine such reports, the officers were then permitted to be awarded their campaign medals, should these be claimed."

I am reliably informed that the actual lists have not survived

This information should be in his officers file. Apart from local newspapers, this is by far the best bet. I posted the most likely options on your other topic.

Steve.

• 5 months later...
Thanks again everyone. Great stuff. :D

Hello Barrowford1914/Andy,

I have sent you a personal message and also some info concerning my Grandfather IWS in the 'Soldiers' Forum. I note that you may have gone to France. Could someone please confirm possibly with a date of return.

Thanks and best regards - Martin Cook

• 1 year later...

On Cox & Co list he was repatriated 11/12/18 but no details of where he was held.

Bob.

He was at Pforzheim officers POW camp the pictures look more like a 4 story mansion ,

I have a couple of postcards from him to his daughter with Pforzheim on post mark and german Pow details of the camp stamped on both cards ,

MC