Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Aerial Nurses 1918

Doc2

In a 1940 publication on flight nurses, I found the following: "...in Great Britain, the Royal Aerial Nurses have been subsidized by Princess Mary since 1918...." Can anyone give me any background on this? I have not heard of this group before, certainly not in the context of flight nurses, since in 1918 the UK was not doing any aeromedical evacuations. (but, since it is claimed for 1918, this is sort of in the Great War era....) Thanks. Doc

The Royal Air Force Nursing Service was a bit of an ad hoc organisation, an afterthought after the RAF was formed. Some seem to have been classed as WRAF (other ranks) and some seemed to have remained QAIMNS or Reserve. It was not given the title of Princess Mary's until 1923. They are not even shown in the Air Force List until 1921/22. There is an excellent history SKY WARDS by Mary Mackie which has been published within the last few years. Published by Hale.

Norman

Norman and Michael, thanks for the information. As I suspected, it appears that the original article I referenced made a mistake in terminology. But at least I can now explain it better. Doc2