Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forged by Fire by Brendon Moorhouse

Edward_N_Kelly

Forged by Fire:The Battle Tactics and Soldiers of a WWI Battalion the 7th Somerset Light Infantry

Brendon Moorhouse

This book appears to have been release on 1JAN04. It looks interesting as it appears to take the evolution of battle tactics through the experiences of a single battalion of the BEF.

Books on this theme have generally followed the themes of tactics over the whole of the BEF but not analysed how it effected a typical unit in the "two way rifle range".

I wonder has anyone here read it and can comment on it ?

Edward

PS Buying McCrae's Battalion on the basis of information on this BBS.....

• 2 weeks later...

Edward,

I got this book as a birthday pressie from my wife (lots of hints). I am about halfway through it at the moment and think it is excellent.

It is very interesting how tactics evolved particulary the speed of change during the Somme battles in 1916.

What I find almost overwhelming is the constant attrition suffered by the battalion throughout the war and quite shocking even from this distance in years.

A good book so far,

James

Edward,

I got this book as a birthday pressie from my wife (lots of hints). I am about halfway through it at the moment and think it is excellent.

It is very interesting how tactics evolved particulary the speed of change during the Somme battles in 1916.

What I find almost overwhelming is the constant attrition suffered by the battalion throughout the war and quite shocking even from this distance in years.

A good book so far,

James

Thank you for the recommendation - looks like another one to add to the shopping list.....

Edward

• 1 year later...

Excellent book which is obviously based on a great deal of detailed research. Given that the Bn formed part of 20th (Light) Division, which seemed to have been deployed in most of the set piece attacks from the Somme onwards, it provides a fascinating view of how tactics developed as both unit and formation level. Add it to your "must buy" list :)

The wonderful Mr. Moorhouse is a member of the forum and helped me out greatly with further information on Capt R C. Orr of the Somersets! Best wishes to him with the new publication .. guy's a gent!

Des

Just to back up others, its an excellent read.

Bn formed part of 20th (Light) Division, which seemed to have been deployed in most of the set piece attacks from the Somme onwards

delta it was one of the best Divisions in the British Army.

Annette

Thank you for all of your kind words.

For me the best part of having the book published was the response of many people who's relatives served with the battalion.

Now I can add to that all of your comments - from people who's knowledge I respect very much.

All the best.

Brendon.