The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

continuimg Silver War Badge Research

Walwyk

Eskimo had success, can I try please and ask if anyone is searching the Rifle Brigade Rolls for SWB... RAF5418. I feel certain that this is not an RAF badge, just coincidental letters. The NA tell me that they have no lists for the RAF anyway.

Thanks. Susanne

Susanne,

I have photographed all the Rifle Brigade and Kings Royal Rifle Corps Silver War Badge Rolls, documents WO329/3127 through to WO329/3133, and made a simple database of all the numbers. There is no such number in these rolls, all the numbers in these seven volumes are either plain numbers or begin with the letter B.

By no means do I know a lot about the RAF, in fact I know very little about them, but if Kew do not hold these rolls have you tried Hendon.

Andy

Hi Susanne, what makes you feel uncertain that it's not an RAF issue?

Jon

It was in my Father's box of bits..he may have found it/bought it but he didn't hoard unless it meant something. His Uncles were in the Army...so just a gut feeling really but there has been no response from any RAF person to say they have a similar badge...reading the recent replies it didn't belong to my Great Uncles so it may have to remain a mystery....

Susanne

Susanne,

I have photographed all the Rifle Brigade and Kings Royal Rifle Corps Silver War Badge Rolls, documents WO329/3127 through to WO329/3133, and made a simple database of all the numbers. There is no such number in these rolls, all the numbers in these seven volumes are either plain numbers or begin with the letter B.

By no means do I know a lot about the RAF, in fact I know very little about them, but if Kew do not hold these rolls have you tried Hendon.

Andy

Thanks I'll try Hendon. Susanne

It sounds like an RAF badge,those to RAF are IIRC listed on a roll{only up to certain numbers} the badge is normally given on Service Records with number.[the downside being you have to know who the recipient is first...]

It sounds like an RAF badge,those to RAF are IIRC listed on a roll{only up to certain numbers} the badge is normally given on Service Records with number.[the downside being you have to know who the recipient is first...]

Thanks, could be a dead end then? I'll try Hendon. Susanne

• 3 weeks later...

Getting nowhere with RAF SWB, Hendon and Innsworth do not have any RAF medal rolls and both put me back to the NA who don't have them either!

Any ides out there?

Susanne

Hi

As I mentioned on your other thread, there is not a War Badge Roll for the RAF but I do know of someone who has reseached them by going through every single RAF service record at Kew. He has most of the numbers and can tell you who the recipient was for badge RAF5418. Unfortunately he is banned from this site but if you pm me I can put you in contact with him. If you go to Kew and ask William Spencer for the id of RAF silver war badges he will also put you in contact with the same researcher.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

With thanks to forum and 'others' I do have the answer to my original question,who owned SWB no. RAF 5418. He was William Adams. Looks like a Great Uncle to my husband. In 1918 he was 19 and was a cook, he did not serve overseas. I am awaiting more details which will be brought via a friend from England.

Susanne :D