Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

collyhurst war memorial

manchester regiment

in the columns of names listed as KIA or DOWs on collyhurst war memorial,is the name,A. RAINSWELL.

theres not a single person in any census,MICs,pension/service records or on CWGC, with the surname rainswell,except a florence rainswell[1891 census].

he never existed,is he listed in the overseas deaths.

mack

Mack,

Can't find him in the GRO.

Andy

Mack. You dont happen to have a list of the names on this memorial do you? Ralph

Ralph

The Channel 4 Lost Generation site lists 52 names on the memorial. Oddly, Rainswell isnt amongst them - so the listing is, presumably, incomplete.

John

(EDIT: I see an online article which says that the memorial was renovated in 2006 with new names added. It also mentions that there's a new inscription on the memorial about casualties since WW1. I wonder if Rainswell is one of them? The local library appears to have been invloved in a communtiy project about the memorial. The memorial is inn the care of the City's Art Galleries Department and they commisisoned the re-furb, so may have information about Rainswell)

(FURTHER EDIT: Found another online City Council report which mentions that in the re-furb, 4 new names were added at public request, 2 reinstatement of illegible initials and 1 correction)

(HOPEFULLY FINAL EDIT: Ralph - Forum member Mostonian has close up piccies of all the panels on the memorials)

John, Thanks for that. I passed this memorial every working day to and from work from 1963 to 1972, my doctors surgery was about 400 yards away, and I never stopped to look at this memorial, no interest at the time !! b*gger ! I did see on the TV some years ago that its refurbishment was halted due to the local scum bags demanding protection money from the renovaters who refused and left the site, never heard any more since, so looks like it eventually got done. Will try Mostonian, thanks Ralph.

Just wondering if this soldier has a link with your man/woman. Willliam Raiswell was born in Hulme according to SDGW.

RAISWELL, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/07/1916

Service No: 13540

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Myrtle

Mack,

Can't find him in the GRO.

Andy

thanks for looking andy

mack