Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy casualty

Northern Soul

Not really a candidate for the "In From the Cold" designation as such, since James Brooks/Huddleston is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial as having been lost when the S.S. Tuscan Prince was torpedoed in August, 1918. However, I recently unearthed a reference to his body having been recovered and brought back to Barrow-in-Furness for burial: the ship wasn't actually sunk and made port and I presume they found him when they got it into dry-dock and could access the engine room. For some reason this never got communicated to the authorities and he was commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Terry is currently investigating this with a view to moving his place of commemoration. I'll post an update when he has some information.

Co-incidentally, there was another casualty of the same incident, Donkeyman James William McKenzie: his NoK info from the CWGC Database is "Son of Annie and the late Donald McKenzie; husband of Maria Ann McKenzie (nee Rodgers), of 5, Derwent Avenue, Westbourne St., Hull. Born at Stockton-on-Tees." From what the reference infers, I think his body was recovered from the engine room too, and so he will probably have a grave somewhere...............Hull would be a good place to start if any Pal fancies taking up the challenge !!

Andy.

post-754-1213786743.jpg

Andy

heres the e mail for Hull Cemeteries dept - saves a long walk

public.protection@hullcc.gov.uk

Chris

• 8 months later...

I got an email from Terry Denham this morning (sent Friday) telling me that the CWGC have checked out James Brooks/Huddleston's burial location and that, as of March 5th, 2009, he is no longer commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his official place of commemoration is now Barrow-in-Furness Cemetery. No doubt a headstone will be erected in due course.

A good result so many thanks to Mr. D. for facilitating this. :D

Andy.

Well done Andy

Chris