Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Henry Ratcliffe

Robertson

Hello,

I have most of the key parts of infomation for a relative of mine who died of wombs during World War One. All i really would like now is a picture to match the face.

I have noticed that people have pictures of there ancestors as there avatars, this is what gave me the idea of finding a picture of Private John Henry Ratcliffe.

I will be greatfull of any help i recive.

Thanks,

George Robertson.

Extra infomation ; 20114, 22nd Bn., Manchester Regiment. Died aged 21, 05 July 1916.

To locate such a Picture,if Family sources are exhausted{ie no relatives have any} I would suggest that you try to find the contemporary local papers {usually @ Public Libraries} of the area that he lived in @ the time of enlisting,many Casualties had their pictures published {from photographs sent in by their Next of Kin}when notices of their deaths were published.

George, Welcome to the Forum. Of the 218 soldiers I am researching I have obtained approx 150 plus photos from the local paper in the local studies library, this avenue has to be your best bet,his photo could appear in your local paper anything up to a year after his death. Good hunting. Ralph.

George

There is a Manchester Regiment forum where someone may be able to help, I know they were able to supply me with a (group) photo when I contacted them.

Here's the link to the forum.... http://www.themanchesters.org/forum/index.php

Regards

Steve

Thanks steve :D

I contacted the website and recived a group photo, unfortunatly they do not no which one is the man im looking for, they just know that he is in the photo.

I contacted the website and recived a group photo, unfortunatly they do not no which one is the man im looking for, they just know that he is in the photo.

Yes. It's infuriating that the City Battalions Book of Honour doesnt caption the men. Of course, they wouldnt know that 90 years on descendents like us would be wanting to ID our ancestors.

My grandad appears on one of the 17th Battalion photos. Also on the same photo is his brother and I've had to make "best guess" as to which he is.

As others have said, the local newspaper may well have a published a brief obituary which included a photo. However, don't hold your breath. The variosu battalions of the regiment had many casualties at the beginning of July and it may simply have been too bad for civilian morale to print so many obits. I assume he came from around Manchester - any idea whereabouts?

John

Yes. It's infuriating that the City Battalions Book of Honour doesnt caption the men. Of course, they wouldnt know that 90 years on descendents like us would be wanting to ID our ancestors.

My grandad appears on one of the 17th Battalion photos. Also on the same photo is his brother and I've had to make "best guess" as to which he is.

As others have said, the local newspaper may well have a published a brief obituary which included a photo. However, don't hold your breath. The variosu battalions of the regiment had many casualties at the beginning of July and it may simply have been too bad for civilian morale to print so many obits. I assume he came from around Manchester - any idea whereabouts?

John

Yes. I have he full details and his full address.

36, Thomas St, Hulme, Manchester.

In that case, you'll be looking at the city's main newpapers of the time - Manchester Evening Chronicle and Manchester Evening News. Copies of both on microfilm at Manchester Central Library - but I'm not familiar with either so don't know the likelihood of them having published a photo.

In that case, you'll be looking at the city's main newpapers of the time - Manchester Evening Chronicle and Manchester Evening News. Copies of both on microfilm at Manchester Central Library - but I'm not familiar with either so don't know the likelihood of them having published a photo.

I dont surpose that you know if the army sat the privates on another row than everyone eles do you? Because it seems that anyone who is a higher rank than private is sat one the 2nd row. So am i right in thinking that privates might have been sat somewhere eles?