Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

agares-robartes

Petroc

I was always led to believe that, prior to transferring to the Guards, the MP for the St Austell area in Cornwall had been an officer in the Devon Yeomanry...but an esteemed historian has chastised me and told me his Yeomanry service was conducted elsewhere..can anyone help?

I was always led to believe that, prior to transferring to the Guards, the MP for the St Austell area in Cornwall had been an officer in the Devon Yeomanry...but an esteemed historian has chastised me and told me his Yeomanry service was conducted elsewhere..can anyone help?

Previous thread Here

According to Gliddon, he was in the Royal 1st devon yeo, 1902 - 1913, at which point he joined the R Bucks Hussars.

According to the London Gazette he was commissioned 13th May 1902 into Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry, resigned this commission on 15th January 1913.

Commissioned 5th August 1914 into Buckinghamshire (Royal Bucks Hussars) Yeomanry and transferred to Coldstream Guards 5th January 1915.

Regards

Steve

CG history confrims him from R Bucks Hussars Yeo 5.1.15 as a Lt

Agare Robartes joined Bucks Hussars because he was v friendly with fellow MP Neil Primrose (son of former prime minister Rosebery). Primrose was later killed in Palestine, both also served with Evelyn de Rothschild and Freddie Cripps, later Lt Col of Bucks Hussars and older brother of MP Stafford Cripps. In 1914 officers of Bucks Hussars were dissappointed as cavalry regts were sent to France, Oxfordshire Yeomanry in their brigade sent to france as divisional cavalry. At this point Cripps comments that "Tom Robartes who had no connexion with Buckinghamshire and was a very gallant gentleman. could stand it no longer, so transferred as a subaltern to the Guards." Cripps also noted that when he was laid up in Lord Ridley's Hospital in carlton terrace evacuated from Gallipoli with a knee injury Tom Robartes turned up on leave .."from France and so was allowed to see me for a few minutes. he came inside the screens producing a soda-water bottle filled with Martini cocktails from the Carlton Hotel. There was a tumbler by my bed which he filled with this mixture and gave it to me to drink saying "this will do you good". I drank the lot and said good-bye to him..Poor Thomas went back to France..the next day he was killed."

Doc