Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Passchendaele" Movie

ejcmartin

It's out, but only in German - with German only subtitles, too

For Mick I doubt that's a problem, but you're right it's only in German on this DVD version.

Paul

The Film Passchendaele.

The Calgary Herald did a review on the films debute at the TIFF. in their words "The script verdict so far not a pretty one, but not damning either" But it also says, that this is only an early opinion the real review's will only come out when the film hits the regular theatres. But!! they did praise the battle scenes. I am still looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers Rob

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a UK cinema release date for the Canadian film "Passchendaele"? I believe it opens in cinemas in Canada this weekend, having been brought forward from 11th Nov (a very fitting date!) - or is it possible the movie will not even make the UK - and just go straight to DVD?

Thanks... Alison

It was played for the Canadian troops now stationed in Kandahar, so perhaps we can get some feedback from them? I know there are a few of the lads that drop in here once in a while.

I thought I heard the release date to theatres in Canada was October 17th? It is to also be released in Australia, not sure of other places.

Alison

Paul Gross's Production Company, Wizzbang Films answered an email today re UK release. They inform me that they have not yet sold the film to a UK distributor. They invited me to check back with them in a couple of weeks. If I read between the lines correctly I think this means negotiations are ongoing with a UK distributor.

I'll post any update when I receive it.

Ian

The movie does premiere this Friday, October 17th across Canada. Often there is a special showing for movies on the Thursday prior to general release.

Ed

What surprises me is the use of Frank Hurley's photo of Australian troops as the 'logo' for this movie.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Dear Tim,

This shouldn't surprise you. Frank Hurley, as far as I know, is the absolute best Allied WWI photographer. There are no photographs anywhere that I've seen that match his photos of the Passchendaele battlefield. In October/07, I had the privilege of being on the set of Passchendaele west of Calgary, Alberta on the Tsuu T'ina First Nations lands where they recreated the battlefield. I got to watch rushes (footage shot that day) for a half hour or so and it seemed they'd literally brought Hurley's brilliant photos to life. I thought, 'If the STORY is as good as these details, this will be a great film.'

If not for photogs like Hurley, we wouldn't really have as good of an idea as we do, of what it must have been like. I've used that same photo of Hurley's, of soldiers going to the front on the CD cover for my Poppy Fund fundraiser, In Flanders Fields. I do give him credit at the bottom of the CD. It is probably my all-time favorite WWI photo; touching, haunting.

Bonfire

www.inflandersfields.ca

I plan to go to the Passchendaele movie in Calgary, AB at 1:00 p.m., its first showing on October 17th. I shall post a review on the forum that afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Bonfire

Bonfire,

It seems I didn't explain myself well. I'm an avid fan of Hurley's work and think his photographs some of the best taken during the war. That a photo of his was used is not surprising in the least. What surprised me was that for a film about Canadian's, they didn't use a photo depicting Canadian soldiers.

Granted, this photo is recognised as epitomising Passchendaele and all those who fought there but surely there are some really good Canadian images that could have been used??

Anyway, it's only a very minor point that irked me a little. Other than that I'm keen to hear how the film is received.

Cheers,

Tim L.

After seeing the trailer for the movie it looks like they recreated Hurley's photo in movie sequence.

BTW Newfoundland has its advantages. The first showing is 12:20pm tomorrow so I can be one of the first to see the film in the world!

Ed

After seeing the trailer for the movie it looks like they recreated Hurley's photo in movie sequence.

BTW Newfoundland has its advantages. The first showing is 12:20pm tomorrow so I can be one of the first to see the film in the world!

Ed

But Ed, I live in Alberta on Mountain Standard Time

I'll be seeing it at about the same time, Alberta time. A friend who had a small role in it, Patricia Benedict, went to the special screening for cast and crew in Calgary last night and she was blown away. Absolutely loved it. So I'm getting quite excited about it.

Bonfire,

It seems I didn't explain myself well. I'm an avid fan of Hurley's work and think his photographs some of the best taken during the war. That a photo of his was used is not surprising in the least. What surprised me was that for a film about Canadian's, they didn't use a photo depicting Canadian soldiers.

Granted, this photo is recognised as epitomising Passchendaele and all those who fought there but surely there are some really good Canadian images that could have been used??

Anyway, it's only a very minor point that irked me a little. Other than that I'm keen to hear how the film is received.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim, I take your point. There are a few good Canadian photos of that battle; ie. the famous one of the machine gunners up to their shoulders in the watery shell holes, the stretcher bearers. But that picture of the men in silhouette at dusk (or maybe dawn) has a special poignancy about it that is a cut above most of the pics of that battle and from WWI generally in my opinion. Because of the terrible conditions in Passchendaele, there are just not that many photos at all and I just think aesthetically, resolution-wise, and for content Hurley's photos are in a class by themselves, full stop.

Bonfire

Bonfire,

The movie here in St. John's will start at 8:50 am your time (Mountain).

Ed