Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Third time lucky?

Old Bill

This will be the third time I've asked for assistance here. The previous two have led to a great deal of info and I'm hoping for the same result this time.

On Sunday next I'm taking 54 pupils on our biennial visit to the battlefields of WW1. I have selected a few names from the school's war memorial with a view to visiting the grave of one of them. I've drawn a blank on Hector McDonald. There are only a couple of Hectors on the CWGC register. However, I can find no connection with the area served by my school which is the Broxburn and Uphall area of West Lothian.

Anyone able to help?

My geography is frightfully bad, so I've no idea where places in the UK are in relation to others.

Pte Hector McDonald 1046, 15th (Service) Battalion (1st Glasgow), Highland Light Infantry, was born in Tiree, Argyllshire, enlisted Glasgow. He died of wounds in F&F on 26/08/16.

Pte Hector McDonald 48591, 12th Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment), formerly 5139 Manchester Regiment, was killed in action in F&F on 7/10/16. He was born in Manchester, resided there and enlisted there.

Pte Hector Alexander McDonald G/6818, 23rd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) was killed in action 20/7/17. He was from Chiswick, having been born there, resided there and enlisted there.

Allie

Using MacDonald as the surname spelling:

Pte Hector MacDonald 16148, (Infantry) Machine Gun Corps (formerly 8700, Seaforth Highlanders) was killed in action in F&F 1/7/16. He was born in Barony, Larnark, enlisted in Hamilton and his residence was in Anderston.

Pte Hector MacDonald 41473, 9th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) was killed in action in F&F on 3/5/17. He was born in Inverness and enlisted there.

Sergt Hector MacDonald S/12515, 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, the Duke of Albany's) died in F&F 27/3/18. He was born in Knock, Lewis and enlisted in Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Pte Hector MacDonald S/12698, 6th Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was killed in action in F&F on 13/8/16. He was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian, resided in Broxburn, Linlithgowshire and enlisted in Uphall, West Lothian.

That last one appears to be your chap (why is it always the last one I look at?). No head stone, sorry.

Name: MACDONALD, HECTOR

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1916

Service No: S/12698

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 15 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Allie

There are 80 listings for men who resided in Broxburn. A whole heap of them are on memorials rather than having a grave of their own. Going alphabetically, how about one of these chaps (first names, residence, died how info etc available from SDGW - just let me know which one/s):

Name: BRAIDWOOD, ALEXANDER

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Service No: 38553

Additional information: Son of Alexander and Jessie Braidwood, of Melbourne Rd., Broxburn, West Lothian.

Grave/Memorial Reference: G. 15.

Cemetery: STE. CATHERINE BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: BURNS

Initials: T

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/09/1917

Service No: 48364

Additional information: Son of David and Agnes Burns, of 7, Kirkhill Rd., Broxburn, West Lothian.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 9.

Cemetery: LES BARAQUES MILITARY CEMETERY, SANGATTE

Name: CLARKE

Initials: B

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/06/1917

Service No: 19734

Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Mowbray Clarke, of 3, Steel's Row, Broxbourne, West Lothian.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. N. 6A.

Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Name: FOY

Regiment/Service: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/10/1915

Service No: 15113

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot I. Row B. Grave 29.

Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Name: GALLOWAY

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 8th Trench Mortar Bty.

Date of Death: 26/11/1917

Service No: 43099

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 23.

Cemetery: FAVREUIL BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: GILLON

Initials: W

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 17/09/1918

Service No: 39615

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 51.

Cemetery: QUEANT COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION

Name: HARLEY, DENIS

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 10/02/1916

Service No: 19041

Additional information: Son of John and Ann Harley, of Alexander St., Uphall, West Lothian.

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 37.

Cemetery: AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: HEGGIE, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 14th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/08/1916

Service No: 13354

Additional information: Son of William and Jane Martin Heggie, of West Burnside, Broxburn, West Lothian.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 33.

Cemetery: PHILOSOPHE BRITISH CEMETERY, MAZINGARBE

etc

(I can look up more if you like)

Allie

Pte Hector McDonald 48591, 12th Battalion, King's (Liverpool Regiment), formerly 5139 Manchester Regiment, was killed in action in F&F on 7/10/16. He was born in Manchester, resided there and enlisted there.

Allie

This particular Hector McDonald is my great uncle and definitely is associated with Manchester.

Hope you find the one you're looking for.

Kim

Pte Hector MacDonald S/12698, 6th Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was killed in action in F&F on 13/8/16. He was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian, resided in Broxburn, Linlithgowshire and enlisted in Uphall, West Lothian.

That must be the one. Many thanks and many thanks for the other possibilities too. I'll choose one in a graveyard near to our route if possible.

I am tempted to go for T Burns as the street he lived in is still there and very close to the school. However, Sangatte is a bit far off our normal route. We do however visit Thiepval so Hector would be a good choice. Any info about the action he was killed in?

Just a wee bit more to add, his will is held in the national archives in Edinburgh here are the details. They will have his next of kin listed.

RefNo SC70/8/415/56

Repository National Archives of Scotland

Title Will of S/12698 or 12698 Private Hector MacDonald, 6th Bn. or (S), Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, Cause of death: Killed in action, France, Theatre: France and Flanders, 13 Aug 1916

Date c1916

Extent 3

Description Informal will from Pay Book (Army Book 64). War Office refs: E/230731/1, 206/380866/16/17

AccessStatus Open

AccessConditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document.

FormerRef SC70/8/30

I don't know if you are aware of the documentary A Soldiers Return which was filmed in Uphall and France & Flanders. It is about the life and times of Corporal Robert Beveridge MM Royal Scots. He was born in Newtongrange and raised in Uphall, I had the privilige to appear in it (briefly), you can find out more if you wish by visiting my website, Newbattle at War, link in my signature,

Hello you should try contacting 'WW1 Dale Boys' He is a forum member and has gone through WW1 newspapers for Armadale and West Lothian Servicemen, he may have some more information for you. He sent me some information on a Broxburn man, John Munnoch.

If you go to the bar above and click on 'Members' and enter his name above. you can contact him from there.

Regards,

Stewart

Just a wee bit more to add, his will is held in the national archives in Edinburgh here are the details. They will have his next of kin listed.

RefNo SC70/8/415/56

Repository National Archives of Scotland

Title Will of S/12698 or 12698 Private Hector MacDonald, 6th Bn. or (S), Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, Cause of death: Killed in action, France, Theatre: France and Flanders, 13 Aug 1916

Date c1916

Extent 3

Description Informal will from Pay Book (Army Book 64). War Office refs: E/230731/1, 206/380866/16/17

AccessStatus Open

AccessConditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document.

I'll try to arrange a copy of that tomorrow. Many thanks.

FormerRef SC70/8/30

I don't know if you are aware of the documentary A Soldiers Return which was filmed in Uphall and France & Flanders. It is about the life and times of Corporal Robert Beveridge MM Royal Scots. He was born in Newtongrange and raised in Uphall, I had the privilige to appear in it (briefly), you can find out more if you wish by visiting my website, Newbattle at War, link in my signature,

Yes. I've seen that. Attended a screening in Broxburn. I thought about Beveridge but I know he was killed at Arras and our trip does not include Arras.

Hello you should try contacting 'WW1 Dale Boys' He is a forum member and has gone through WW1 newspapers for Armadale and West Lothian Servicemen, he may have some more information for you. He sent me some information on a Broxburn man, John Munnoch.

If you go to the bar above and click on 'Members' and enter his name above. you can contact him from there.

Regards,

Stewart

Bill.

On or around August 11th 1916 the 6th Bn Cameron's took up a position at a point north west of High Wood and Bazentin-le-Petit on the morning of August 12th (6.00am) the Bn set off for the front line. at 10.00 am, and on the same day after an artillery bombardment that started at 10.05 am. At 10.30 am the 6th Bn advanced to assault the Switch Line no opposition was met although considerable machine gun and artillery fire was directed on their right flank. I hope this is of some help.

This is from the Historic Records of the Cameron Highlanders

Cheers Rob.

Many thanks to all. NAS are going to fw me digital copies of Hector's will which I may be able to pick up when we are over there.

Even more interesting perhaps, one of the pupils spoke to me today and brought me research which a family member had unearthed. This shows that one of the former pupils named on the memorial was in fact executed for striking an officer. No names or details for the moment as the family are understandably sensitive about this. However, the records of the Field Court Martial would appear to indicate that this was another travesty of justice which was inflicted simply for the sake of example. A total disgrace and enough to make one's blood boil.

We'll be visiting this person's grave also.

Thanks again to all

Peter Wright

PT History

Broxburn Academy

• 5 years later...

Peter

I have only just joined this forum (today)! specificallt as my husband joined last week and told me about this thread. Private Hector Macdonald, 6th Battalion Cameron Highlanders, born Edinburgh and killed on 13th August 1916 was my great uncle. We have visited Thiepval, where he is remebred as having no known grave and also the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Arras where my husband's gr grandfather is buried.

Do you mind me asking your interest in Hector? Did you choose to research him because he lived in Broxburn and signed on at Uphall? Would you also mind me asking if you have any further information regarding Hector which you are able to pass on?

I am still living locally (and now one of the Broxburn Ward Councillors) but quite a novice at this sort of research so any info you would provide would be invaluable to me.

many thanks for any help you are able to give

Kind regards

Janet Campbell