Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What badge

Black Watch

I saw a badge for sale, identical to Black Watch, but without the words Black Watch or Royal Highlanders. The only lettering on the badge is the usual "nemo me impune lacessit"

any ideas?

Neil

It is one of the TF Bn Badges

I saw a badge for sale, identical to Black Watch, but without the words Black Watch or Royal Highlanders. The only lettering on the badge is the usual "nemo me impune lacessit"

any ideas?

Neil

Does it have a Sphinx at the bottom

Tom

It could be the post 1937 Black Watch badge, which is the same as the earlier type, but with out the two scrolls. This was because the regiments offical title was changed from 'Royal Highlanders' to 'Royal Highland Regiment'. The badge without scrolls appears with Kings crown, or queens crown. The Officer's and senior NCO's badge was the same design but in Bi metal.

Regards,

Stewart

It could be the post 1937 Black Watch badge, which is the same as the earlier type, but with out the two scrolls. This was because the regiments offical title was changed from 'Royal Highlanders' to 'Royal Highland Regiment'. The badge without scrolls appears with Kings crown, or queens crown. The Officer's and senior NCO's badge was the same design but in Bi metal.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

I beleive you are right, The difference between TF and Regular badges is the absence of the Sphinx on the TF badges at the time of the Great War. I think it is post1937. Perhaps Neil can say what crown is on it

Tom

It is of course the inter war-1950s pattern badge worn after the regt changed the precedence of its title. The badge came in both k/c and q/c.

Alan

It is of course the inter war-1950s pattern badge worn after the regt changed the precedence of its title. The badge came in both k/c and q/c.

Alan

Thanks for all replies. It had a kings crown, and it had a sphinx at bottom