Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A nice hot cup of tea

George Armstrong Custer

thermos.jpg

A nice thought. But what's interesting about this is that although the THERMOS company have used Lady Jellicoe's quote of her husband's request in their ad, they don't seem to have entered into the spirit of supporting the men at sea by offering any kind of discount for service families wishing to purchase a thermos flask to send to their loved ones.

ciao,

GAC

I cannot see the average Jack Tar at his station, being allowed to produce his thermos to idle away time and stave off the cold? :ph34r:

Ian

When you remember how fragile the Thermos flask was I am surprised that they would last 5 minutes service conditions.

I cannot see the average Jack Tar at his station, being allowed to produce his thermos to idle away time and stave off the cold? :ph34r:

Ian

Certainly couldn't see it being allowed whilst on duty on the bridge, Ian - maybe on watch high up in the crow's nest though? Keith's point on the fragility of the things is picked up in the ad in the line about them safely surviving transit in the post "if well packed" - they'd have had to have been exceedingly well packed to have stood any chance of arriving intact via the post I'd have thought! I wonder what Jellicoe had in mind when he said he'd like flasks for the men?

ciao,

GAC

I think you will find that hip flasks were more popular. I have my late father-in-Laws hip flask he used when he was a member of a field ambulance during 1914-18.

My grandfather hardly ever drank - but he would someimes have a tot in his coffee in the morning which I think must have been a hark back to the trenches.

On a really cold watch, a thermos would allow a hot drink to be taken round watchkeepers? Just an idea. They were used like that in trenches.

These days Sir John and Lady J would have received a nice little cheque for singing the praises of Thermos like that. But are such arrangements all that new? Might it have happened?

cheers Martin B

flasks !! standards must have dropped post ww1,ww2 in the navy. i know my experience`s in the mid sixties was , you were sent by the officer of the watch down to the engine room with a kettle or jug for the tea or "ky" to be heated by one of the stokers [as they were called then] with a "steam" pipe coming from the engine or genny or somewhere!!. no mean feat on a rolling and pitching ship. ....

cheers , mike.

As Thermos still exists as a company, does this thread break the forum no advertising rule? :ph34r:

cheers Martin B

As Thermos still exists as a company, does this thread break the forum no advertising rule? :ph34r:

cheers Martin B

hidewh6.gif