Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 3rd & 4th Canadian Div 1915-16

chr15a

Hi, my Grandfather, William Anderson 55695 RFA, received the Military Medal in late 1916 whilst, I understand (thank you to 'ororkep' for the information), attached to either the 3rd or 4th Canadian Divisions. Originally he was with 18th Brigade, comprising of 59, 93 and 94 Batteries. Although he was attached to the Lahore Divisional Troops in 1914, from February 1916 they became part of 3rd Canadian Division and then from October 1916 the 4th Canadian Division.

Can anyone shine any futher light on this?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the war diaries of the 18th Brigade, RFA and the Lahore Divisional Artillery, can be found on the website of the Canadian National Archives. I wouldn't be surprised if the war diaries for the component batteries and ammunition columns could be found there as well.

The records that I have assembled from various sources to prepare the "Fluid ORBAT" of the Canadian Expeditionary Force by Quarters from 1914 to 1918 suggests that your 18th Brigade was with the 2nd Canadian Division in the 1st Quarter of 1916 and as you have suggested they were serving with the 3rd Canadian Division (shows 59th, 93rd and 94th Batteries) in the 2nd Quarter and then the 4th Canadian Division in the 3rd Quarter of 1916. I have to presume Haig was moving them to where they were most needed?

CEF Matrix Fluid Orbat Utility: 1916

At some point in time it is our intent to go back to the Fluid Orbat to break it down even further into the major battles of the individual quarters, but it was quite a task to even get to this stage.

As always, corrections or additions are always welcome.