Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial County Associations

Sue Light

At present I’m trying to track down surviving records of the Territorial Force County Associations that relate to the planning, formation and staffing of the twenty-three TF Hospitals in 1908. Before settling down to trace where these records might be held today, has anyone accessed any County Association records before, and if so where? I know that the remaining Sussex Territorial Association minutes [1907-1968] are at the East Sussex Record Office, Lewes – any probable addresses for the others? I’m quite happy to do the sleuthing, but don’t feel the need to duplicate anything already done!

Towns/cities of particular interest are: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Lincoln, Leicester, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Cardiff, Bristol, Portsmouth, Plymouth, London and Brighton.

Thanks - Sue

Hi Sue

I have used the records relating to the Staffordshire County Territorial Force Assocation and Staffordshire County Territorial Army Association, but as none of the General Hospitals came under their aegis, I don't think this would be of much use to you. It is usually the case that the CTFA/CTAA records are held at the relevant County Record Office, but this is not always so. Similarly, some records may not have survived. I know in a couple of instances that this is the case. For example, in Staffordshire the Minute Books only cover the period 1924-1967, but luckily the CTFA meetings were covered in full in the county broadsheet newspaper, The Staffordshire Advertiser, for the period 1908-23.

You might find it useful to do a search of the National Register of Archives via the Historical Manuscripts Commission (HMC) website. The website is at:

http://www.hmc.gov.uk

Hope this helps.

Sue,

The Liverpool Record Office holds some papers of the Territorial Force Association. I haven't looked at them in any detail but I have seen numerous references to them during my searches there for other things.

Ken

Sue

Manchester Regiment archives are held at Tameside Council Local History Library and probably include what you are after (or will know what's what!).

John

The Hampshire & Isle of Wight Territorial and Auxiliary Association minutes [1907-1968] are held at the Hampshire Record Office - Collection Reference 37M69 will refer. This should cover Portsmouth.

You can search the County archive online Here

Marc

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I can see that I will have a few awaydays coming up - let's hope the useful research ties in with the beautiful cities - Winchester and Cambridge [thanks to Cliff] seem to lead at present! I'm going to St. Bartholomew's Hospital next week as they hold the records of No. 1 London General, so perhaps I will fit the Guildhall in as well.

Thanks again - Sue

Sue

there's some rcords of the Leicestershire TF at the archives in (I think, Enderby)

Leics, that cover the pre-war period, written in longhand and bloody hard to read!

When you've done your stuff would you care to become Matron of the TFSG sub-site?

Carmarthen Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Association: minutes 1907-1968

The above documents are held at the Carmarthenshire County Archives

whose address is

County Archivist: John Davies BA DAA

Parc Myrddin,

Richmond Terrace,

Carmarthen,

SA311DS

I am not sure whether Carmarthen covers the town or the whole county.

Ronald John Saunders

When you've done your stuff would you care to become Matron of the TFSG sub-site?

I'm already aboard Graeme, but was vainly hoping to be considered for the rather more appealing position of the 'flighty staff nurse.' :lol:

Thanks to you and Ronald for the information.

Sue

Sue, the County of London TF Assoc minutes 1908-1939 are in the London Met Archives at Farringdon. I posted the file references for these in another thread a few weeks back (may ahve been the drill halls thread)

Charles

Sue, the County of London TF Assoc minutes 1908-1939 are in the London Met Archives at Farringdon. I posted the file references for these in another thread a few weeks back (may ahve been the drill halls thread)

Charles

They were, and still are, Charles. Thankyou.

a snippet;

The County of London TF Assoc met quarterly or so, with the exception of most of the first three years of the war. Its surviving records are in the London Metropolitan Archives under the follwing refs:

A/TA/1 County of London TF Association - minutes Jan 1908 to March 1914

A/TA/2 ditto - minutes July 1914, May 1917 - Oct 1919

A/TA/3 ditto - minutes Oct 1920 - Oct 1926

A/TA/4 ditto - minutes Jan 1927 - Oct 1931

A/TA/5 ditto - minutes June 1932 - Oct 1935

A/TA/6 ditto - minutes June 1936 - Nov 1936

I'm already aboard Graeme, but was vainly hoping to be considered for the rather more appealing position of the 'flighty staff nurse.' :lol:

Is that more Barbara Windsor than Hattie Jaques?

Flighty? Ding dong!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a look at the Records at the Leicestershire and Rutland Records Office (at Wigston Magna not Enderby - same Junction M1 mind you) and there is almost nothing there about the creation of 5 Northern General Hospital. At one meeting of the Association it's not there, and the next it is! If you have anything specific I would be happy to help. I would still recommend a visit - there is a nurse's photo album from WW1 which is pretty good. The Association Records are, as Graeme says, in long-hand.

Dave Ricketts

Dave

Thanks for that - it's useful to know what isn't there - saves a lot of hassle. The nurse's photo album sounds worth looking at some time. I've been lucky enough to come across a lot of great sources over the last few weeks - just got to work my way through them now!

Sue