Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bored Landsturm

Dan Morton

It's me again. This time I'm doing a bored German Landsturm on sentry duty. Perhaps he's dreaming of the beer garden in his little village, perhaps he's home sick, perhaps he's worried about his farm and whether his wife will be able to manage on her own. It's a quiet front...but maybe not that quiet.

He's wearing an M1903 Litewka coat, M1813 Landsturm oilcloth visor cap and will be armed with the M1888 Mauser rifle with M1871 bayonet. His equipment will include leather M1871/84 (?) ammunition holder, canteen (water bottle), brotbeutel (bread bag) and a bayonet holder.

This will eventually be cast as a kit. I'll post three photos.

post-4473-1213577924.jpg

All the best,

Dan

Another view of the Landsturm...that's a bit of the bowl and the stem of his pipe sticking out from one of the pockets.

post-4473-1213578816.jpg

And the last...

post-4473-1213578981.jpg

When it's all finished and cast, Ulrich Biroth, one of my painter friends will be doing the honors! Light grey Litewka coat, red collar tabs (?), black trousers with red stripes, brown or black boots, black leather ammo holder. And then there's the observation point! He's promised a couple signs that identify the OP position #, etc. and another one that's offering a room to let. :)

Hope you like it!

Dan

Great diorama. I thought the light blue thingy is his PDA, watching the TV series "When Does it All End"

Hi Dan, very good, as always. I am genuinely asking a question here as I do not know. Would he be allowed a beard like that? I am thinking gasmask. Of course, if it is dated early '15 then no problem.

Egbert and Tom - Many thanks! PDA - LOL! Tom there definitely would have been a problem with the beard and wearing a gas mask! The figure is meant to be early war. By mid war on all or most fronts he would have been clean shaven or kaput. Al the best, Dan

Rubbish Dan! Ive just looked at Landsturms profile, he hasn't got a beard and I know for a fact he doesnt have a hat like that. You really must try harder :P

(Only joking obviously excellent stuff as usual)

Well, perhaps not very much beard, but a hyper-extended chin? :huh:

Over the weekend, I changed some of his stance and re-worked a few details that improved the figure. I added a little piece of cloth which would be inserted in the observation slit when not in use. On the figure, I removed one arm to allow casting. The head is already removable. The rest should be cast-able as one piece, I believe. Field equipment and weapons will be cast separately of course. I've also sculpted a couple apples - one with a nice little apple leaf and the other with a nice little worm coming out of it. :rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist.

All the best,

Dan