Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Demobilisation

kinsalegreg

Hi All

My grandfather enlisted in the Connaught Rangers in 1899/1900 with the Regimental Number 6926. At his death as a serving soldier in 1921 his number in the same Regiment was completely different. A contact has told me that he must have left the army and then re-enlisted. This seems sensible but what were the arrangements at the end of the war for demobilising troops and would it have been possible that he stayed in the army but simply had his number changed ?

It may be that he would have had three different numbers.

The original number you mention, then a re-numbering during the war and perhaps a third postwar. Not necessarily due to re-enlisting after demob.

Ian

Edit: does he have an MIC ?

Hi Folks

Thanks for the inputs. His number at his death in 1921 was 7143030; on his MIC it was the original 6926. Does this add anything to the explanation?

Kinsalegreg

Kinsal

Here is a useful link recently provided by Steve (Stebie) on the seven figure renumbering.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/mm/army_service_numbers.htm

The seven figure number of your man probably indicates that he was the thirtieth longest serving soldier in the Regiment at that juncture (assuming the new number was allocated by seniority in length of service).

Regards

Mel

Kinsal

Where is Grangegorman cemetery?

Regards

Mel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link and apologies for the tardy reply. Grangegorman cemetery is in Dublin near the Dublin Zoo. Very well kept - I have some photographs if you are interested.