Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Field AmbulanceS with B.E.F.

alf mcm

I am researching Acting Sergeant Samuel James Williamson

Do you know which Cavalry Field Ambulance he was with?

There were 6 in the BEF?

Are his records available in the burnt records at the NA?

Do you know which Cavalry Field Ambulance he was with?

There were 6 in the BEF?

Are his records available in the burnt records at the NA?

I think he was with the 3rd Cavalry Field Ambulance. I have a copy of his medal record card {from T.N.A.}, and the first 3 digits on his Regimental number are 201, the remainder are just 'off the page'. I have seen this trimming of numbers a few times. He was awarded the 1914 star with clasp and roses so he obviously saw some action. His records are not included in the Army Pensions on Ancestry, nor his medal record card, so I don't know if there is anything on the back of it. I have asked someone to check the medal rolls for me, to see if they give any more information, and they are going to see if they can find his Army records.

Is it likely that he would be individually mentioned in theWar Diary of the 3rd Cavalry Field Ambulance? I am particularly interested in the entries for August 1914.

I Is it likely that he would be individually mentioned in theWar Diary of the 3rd Cavalry Field Ambulance? I am particularly interested in the entries for August 1914.

Hello Alf

War Diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, except in connection with gallantry awards, but you do have a slightly better chance than with, say, an infantry battalion. The War Diary for 3 Cav Fd Amb is in WO95/1105.

I'm afraid the medal rolls are not likely to give any more information.

Hello Alf

War Diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, except in connection with gallantry awards, but you do have a slightly better chance than with, say, an infantry battalion. The War Diary for 3 Cav Fd Amb is in WO95/1105.

I'm afraid the medal rolls are not likely to give any more information.

Thanks Ron

You can also try looking in the soldiers service record files at the NA....however, be warned most people call these the burnt records as when they were stored at Chancery Lane in 1940 they got visited by the Luftwaffe and so one for your man either exists, doesn't exist (burnt) or partly available (smoke, water and fire damage).....perhaps if you're not near the NA could could ask for a Pal to look in the information requests section.......

You can also try looking in the soldiers service record files at the NA....however, be warned most people call these the burnt records as when they were stored at Chancery Lane in 1940 they got visited by the Luftwaffe and so one for your man either exists, doesn't exist (burnt) or partly available (smoke, water and fire damage).....perhaps if you're not near the NA could could ask for a Pal to look in the information requests section.......

Thanks for that. One of Samuel's grandsons has told me today that he is hoping to go to TNA, possibly next week. He has odffered to help, so I will ask him to lok for Samuel's service records.

Regards,

Alf