Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Donald Maclennan

scarlet165

Im trying without luck i must admit, to track down my Grandfathers WW1 war record, he was in WW2 with the Cameron Highlanders and captured in 1940, i have all those details, but all i can find of his WW1 service is that he served from 1917-18 with the Camerons.

My Mother says he was sent to a Cameron Highlander unit which had been 'knocked about' in 1916, her Dads words not hers.

Trouble is not sure at all which Battalion, wondering if anyone can help find a Donald MacLennan or (McLennan) which is how its spelt in his WW2 records. Possibly last 4 are 3102 (which spookily were mine to) again thats his WW2 number, believe after WW1 till WW2 he was in the TA in Inverness.

Long shot, just find to many Donald MacLennans :)

do his ww2 papers not quote his ww1 service number ?

do his ww2 papers not quote his ww1 service number ?

No, i think bits are missing, i have more of his WW2 POW papers as well, which just say WW1 Cameron Highlanders on it, (they were filled in on return to England in 19145, but dont give Battalion etc, even his Soldiers book just says Cameron Highlanders 1917-1919, which is when he left. Mother says a lot of papers medal etc were sold to a tally man in the 50s.

have you searched the ancestry papers ?

The following isn't going to help much because there doesn't seem to be a Donald Mc/MacLennan who fits with the information you have given - based on the 1917 year of service. The majority of the Donald Mc/MacLennans listed as serving with the Cameron Highlanders can be ruled out on the basis of their service numbers being low, early war issues. Depending on what 1917 specifically refers to i.e. year of enlistment or year in which he first served overseas then the possibles are:

1. S/23277 : killed 3rd May 1917

2. S/24356 : transcription error (SWB card for soldier no. 4)

3. S/27481 : also killed 3rd May 1917

4. S/34356, then 225628 (originally 5784 Lovat's Scouts)

Leaves you with one man (34356, 225628) - part of the 2nd Lovat's Scouts which was transferred en masse to form the 10th (Lovat's Scouts) Battalion, Cameron Highlanders in Sep 1916. These men had served at Gallipoli from Sep 1915. They went to Salonika in October 1916 and didn't arrive in France until June 1918.

The only other possibility for your grandfather may be 2423/200425. This man went overseas sometime in 1916 or early 1917. His number suggests that he enlisted early in the war, so perhaps as a young soldier he was kept back until he was older - does that fit with his date of birth?

As I said, nothing very conclusive, but it has ruled a few out.

All the best,

Stuart

The following isn't going to help much because there doesn't seem to be a Donald Mc/MacLennan who fits with the information you have given - based on the 1917 year of service. The majority of the Donald Mc/MacLennans listed as serving with the Cameron Highlanders can be ruled out on the basis of their service numbers being low, early war issues. Depending on what 1917 specifically refers to i.e. year of enlistment or year in which he first served overseas then the possibles are:

1. S/23277 : killed 3rd May 1917

2. S/24356 : transcription error (SWB card for soldier no. 4)

3. S/27481 : also killed 3rd May 1917

4. S/34356, then 225628 (originally 5784 Lovat's Scouts)

Leaves you with one man (34356, 225628) - part of the 2nd Lovat's Scouts which was transferred en masse to form the 10th (Lovat's Scouts) Battalion, Cameron Highlanders in Sep 1916. These men had served at Gallipoli from Sep 1915. They went to Salonika in October 1916 and didn't arrive in France until June 1918.

The only other possibility for your grandfather may be 2423/200425. This man went overseas sometime in 1916 or early 1917. His number suggests that he enlisted early in the war, so perhaps as a young soldier he was kept back until he was older - does that fit with his date of birth?

As I said, nothing very conclusive, but it has ruled a few out.

All the best,

Stuart

Stuart, thank you very much, i hadnt considered his age, ive been probably looking to much at his WW2 service and not accounted for that!!!

in touch with Mum, she isnt really able to help much now, however he joined when he was 17 she says, and that means 1915 he enlisted, so a bit of rummaging in boxes, and yes it was 1915, but i cant find one thing still which gives a number or battalion, thanks for the help, ill have to go through medal cards now for him.

Funny one thing must have been just going over my head was his age, never clicked at all,thanks.

medal rolls may give the btn number