Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accidental Death

basiloxford

Does anyone know if a soldier who was accidentally killed during WW 1, would have had an Inquest? and would it have been held where he lived.

I'm Researching Pte, John Richard Broom, service no 2944, 4th Oxford and Bucks, and have a copy of his death certificate,

but unfortunately, it only say's he was Accidentally Killed.

It's also stated on his medal card that he was Accidentally Killed, but without his service records, which seem to be among the destroyed documents,

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how i can find out exactly how he died.

Ideas,

Barry.

Barry, have you tried local newspapers of the time? I'd have thought an inquest would have been held where he died, not where he lived.

Allie

Barry

Does the Death Cert. state that an inquest was held?

My Gt uncle died in the war not accidental but suicide, on his certificate it states an inquest was held a few day's later.

Neil

Barry,

Was he killed on active service?

If he was, there may be something in the War Diary.

I've a copy of the 1/8th Royal Scots(Pioneer Battalion) which rarely lists OR named casualties but two men who were killed in a quarrying accident and one who fell off a bridge and drowned are mentioned.

George

Hello Allie,

I've tried the local paper, and the only reference to John Broom i can find is a small photo, stating he had been killed, and the road he lived in.

I would have thought the death certificate would have been more help, but unfortunately not.

Barry.

thanks for the replies,

Yes he was killed while on active service, he was serving in France at the time,

and no it doesn't say anything about an inquest on his death certificate,

but the War Diaries may be a good idea.

thanks,

Barry.

If his service papers had survived they might have given a clue. One I have reserched died on service in France and has a CWGC headstone. His papers show that he died after falling off a waggon and was run over. A court of inquiry was held by his unit and this would be the equivalent of a civilian inquest.

Hope this helps.

Daggers

If he had been accidentally killed overseas, there would not have been an inquest which were only held if the event took place in the UK. Overseas, a Board of Inquiry would have been held by the military. Papers relating to an Inquiry can often be found in a soldiers documents.

TR

Local papers are a good source of information. I found one on a local war memorial, who turned out to be a cousin of my grandfather. Accidently killed - and from a local paper report, it turned out he fell through the loft floor of a barn where they were taking shelter for the night, and broke his neck!